New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

mini - How about games and boot camp?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iBeldar

iBeldar will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: '08 White MB 2.1ghz - 4GB- 120GB- Superdrive - Snow Leopard

My cousin wants to buy the Intel Core Duo Mini, with a gig of ram. He wants to put boot camp on it, then run Counter Strike Source from Steam on Windows XP. So, how will games like CS: Source run under boot camp with a Duo Core, and a gig of ram? Is there any upgrades I should add?

White Penryn Macbook 08'
2.1GHZ C2D - 4GB RAM - 120GB HD - Combo Drive - Snow Leopard - Windows 7 Professional
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

The only thing that might get in the way depending how demanding the game is would be the Intel GMA-950 Integrated Graphics with Shared memory. I have a Core Duo Mini with Boot Camp, I was suprised how well some games play, but the REAL demanding ones of course due to the Graphics Subsystem are not the best. Doom III for example is playable but only really low resolutions. Less demanding games are fine.
QUOTE Thanks
iBeldar

All he wants to play is Counter Strike: Source. But im sure it would work.

White Penryn Macbook 08'
2.1GHZ C2D - 4GB RAM - 120GB HD - Combo Drive - Snow Leopard - Windows 7 Professional
QUOTE Thanks
BlindingLights

BlindingLights is a jewel in the roughBlindingLights is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD

I can run Oblivion on my iMac 128 vram 512 RAM 1.8 Core Duo Intel no problem, he should have no trouble with CS:S.

the back of our computer looks better than the front of theirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_boy22
i can store many dvds on 1 floppy so it's essential to me
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindingLights
I can run Oblivion on my iMac 128 vram 512 RAM 1.8 Core Duo Intel no problem, he should have no trouble with CS:S.
your imac has twice the vram as this guys mini....i wil still be a lil weary of runnin with 68mb of video ram and playing games but i have not done any gaming on xp on a mac
=chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
Logan

Yeah iMac specs ROCK a Mac Mini, so just because an iMac can play a game means nothing about the Mac Mini performance.

I got bootcamp running on my mac mini before returning it, CS:S should run OK. Not great, but OK. You *probably* will get lag at higher than 1024x resolution. Remember everything in a mac mini is like a laptop. 5200 RPM HDD (less datarate speed), laptop ram, less video card ram, you are paying for small size and not so much performance. He'll probably notice longer load times initially, but other than that CS:S should run pretty well once the game is in action.

Don't quote me though, I Have *NOT* tested this game on a Mac Mini. This is my guess from my personal experience with the mac mini. All above comparisons are with an iMac/Desktop PC equivalence.
QUOTE Thanks
iBeldar

Wellmy PC is a 2GHZ, 768MB, and has a 64MB Video card, and it runs good on low settings. My cousin is getting a gig of ram, and i'll probably give him a stick that I have laying around.

He may be able to get an iMac, but I think the most he can pay is $1000.

White Penryn Macbook 08'
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« bootcamp benchmarks. | Help! Keypad doesn't work - I'm stuck! »