New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

MAC Vs. Linux

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Serene Twilight

Can anybody tell me which of the two they favor and what qualities makes u like the OS u chose as your favorite and the qualities of the other OS that you dont like.

IM doing a paper on Mac OS VS. Linux OS and i wanted user responses alongside the cold hard facts
QUOTE Thanks
TBoblp

TBoblp is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac, 15" Powerbook G4 (sold), 20GB iPod (nearing death)

Are you doing it on a specific build of Linux? There are so many out there, it might be a good idea to choose a more popular one or stick to the ideas behind mac v the ideas behind linux rather than a feature comparison.

Jazz is life

"Master your instrument, master the music, and then forget all that **** and just play.
-Charlie Parker
QUOTE Thanks
inflexion

inflexion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle

Along with what flavour what market is it aimed at? Home, Business, Networking? A few more specifics would help us to give you the answeres you need

Apple, think different
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

For everyday, consumer based, uses:

Mac > Linux

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
Macpunk

very true.

I have Ubuntu Linux on my powermac. I hardly evver use it. I installed it mostly to see what the fuzz was about.
QUOTE Thanks
iBeldar

iBeldar will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: '08 White MB 2.1ghz - 4GB- 120GB- Superdrive - Snow Leopard

I wouldn't be able to tell you, because most of you are gonna drop your jaw when you read this... I haven't used Mac OSX. I sat down in front of an iMac, looked at the desktop, clicked on a thing or two, and thats it. This iBook I have was given to me, bad HD and no restore disk. So I put the new HD in and installed Fedora Core 5. I use my PC for main stuff, the iBook is just for on the go music or movies, or just internet while I sit in bed(what im doing right now). Fedora isn't really all that great, I was hoping ubuntu would work but for some reason, after installing it twice, it doesnt work. I like Ubuntu, its on a seperate HD on my PC. Fedora is more of a project, but I customized it to look just like Mac OSX. Linux on the PPC format isn't that great. Most Linux based programs are for the i386 format, including WINE(lets you use windows programs on linux). Flash isn't made for PPC, when I first installed it, the sound didn't work so it was tough finding drivers that would work. I just want to get OSX and get this retarded OS off my laptop lol.

By the way, im ordering Tiger and iLife on Thursday, FTW.

White Penryn Macbook 08'
2.1GHZ C2D - 4GB RAM - 120GB HD - Combo Drive - Snow Leopard - Windows 7 Professional
QUOTE Thanks
to_tough_to_die

to_tough_to_die will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBeldar
I wouldn't be able to tell you, because most of you are gonna drop your jaw when you read this... I haven't used Mac OSX. I sat down in front of an iMac, looked at the desktop, clicked on a thing or two, and thats it. This iBook I have was given to me, bad HD and no restore disk. So I put the new HD in and installed Fedora Core 5. I use my PC for main stuff, the iBook is just for on the go music or movies, or just internet while I sit in bed(what im doing right now). Fedora isn't really all that great, I was hoping ubuntu would work but for some reason, after installing it twice, it doesnt work. I like Ubuntu, its on a seperate HD on my PC. Fedora is more of a project, but I customized it to look just like Mac OSX. Linux on the PPC format isn't that great. Most Linux based programs are for the i386 format, including WINE(lets you use windows programs on linux). Flash isn't made for PPC, when I first installed it, the sound didn't work so it was tough finding drivers that would work. I just want to get OSX and get this retarded OS off my laptop lol.

By the way, im ordering Tiger and iLife on Thursday, FTW.
Have you looked at Yellowdog? It's a Linux Distro compiled for the PowerPC platform.

I'd use Windows... but I like the Mac OS more.
QUOTE Thanks
inflexion

inflexion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle

the only bad thing about that IMO is that its Fedora based but as you like fedora then you might enjoy it

Apple, think different
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I switched from Windows XP to Linux to OS X...
In my experience, Linux is a very nice & stable OS for most everyday tasks.
But "some assembly IS required" and especially newbies might be frustrated to find that certain things don't just work out of the box the way they do under OS X and even windows.

Having said that: I found Linux (Ubuntu specifically) much easier to setup and configure than Windows (how on earth could someone at Microsoft greenlight the control panel?). If you're looking for an OS for a cheap, generic x86 machine that is only used for web surfing, image editing, office work - then linux is probably worth considering.

If you're buying a new computer: Get a mac, no doubt about it in my mind. The extra cost is well worth it considering the headaches it can save...
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

I am a recent switcher. Spent FOREVER with every version of Windows since Windows 3.1 and DOS, right through Windows XP. Along the way, I got SO fed up with Windows that I started experimenting with Linux. I quickly took the plunge and went to Linux full time. Over the last two years, I have worked almost exclusively in Linux, keeping Windows around only for Photoshop and iTunes. When it was time to get a new computer, I realized that I could get Photoshop and iTunes on a Mac, and be done with Microsoft for good. This is what I have done. I got a shiny new Power Mac G5 and I love it.

I was planning to load Linux onto this new Power Mac and dual boot, using Linux for day-to-day and Mac OS X only when I needed it, for Photoshop and iTunes, just like I used to do with my PC.

I haven't done this though. Mac OS X is just TOO good. In fact, I haven't loaded Linux at all, and after working with Mac OS X for a few weeks now, have dropped my plans to do so entirely. Why?

Well, lots of reasons. As someone pointed out, with Linux, assembly is ALWAYS required. I am used to this, and not at all frightened of it (I use Arch Linux, second only to Gentoo in the need for ongoing "assembly", but control = speed, and so I do it). With Mac OS X, everything just works, no assembly needed. There is an obvious and graceful way to do everything with no muss no fuss, at least so far. Then, there is the interface itself. It is a thing of beauty. I *love* the look and feel of the Mac OS X interface. On the Linux side, the only thing close is KDE, and it is really a distant second.

Further to this, you can run almost all of your familiar open source programs on Mac OS X. Apple supplies X11, and both the Darwinports and the Fink projects open the world of Open Source Software to the Mac. Just as an example, I went out and got GIMP and am happily running it under Mac OS X!

Then lets talk a real paradigm shift - widgets! What an amazing idea! Once you try Dashboard, you will be hooked. There is no going back!

Linux does have its pluses though. The thing I miss the most is multiple desktops. If I could improve one thing on the Mac OS X interface, it would be that. Also, the Mac OS X window manager doesn't support window snapping, so windows don't snap together when they get close to each other, a feature I really like, and which is on most Linux window managers. Finally, window resizing is pretty archiac on the Mac. You can only resize using one small corner of a window, AND you get no visual feedback (change of mouse pointer shape) when you position the mouse into that area. Even Windows does better than this, allowing you to grab the sides or bottom of a window to change its size.

So, pluses and minuses, but the pluses far outweigh the minuses. My two cents.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
ezhangin

ezhangin has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4 1.67 MHz

Download Virtue for multiple desktops and be forever happy (although there are other clients too)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Questions about boot camp | OS9 - About This Computer >>>>> »