New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

MacBook Pro - Boot Camp and Parallels

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

le premier

le premier is on a distinguished road

Bootcamp works fine on my MacBook Pro and Parallels as well. Parallels is more convenient for switching back to the "real world" tho'.
One question I have is the following......I have to connect my pda via a usb port and utilise the ActiveSync program. This works fine in Bootcamp but not in Parallels. The usb connection to my pda is not recognised or shown anywhere. I've been through the setup guide and everything seems to be in order....any ideas please?
Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
inflexion

inflexion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle

have you got the latest version of parallels? As USB support was only recently added to it

Apple, think different
QUOTE Thanks
le premier

le premier is on a distinguished road

I have played around with Boot Camp and Parallels for the the last couple of weeks, not on a supremely professional level but mainly on a user friendly level and have found (for what suits ME and only ME) is that although Parallels seems to work faster and has the great advantage of being able to switch rapidly from one OS to the other, what you can do with it may be, at the moment limited.
I basically want to connect with a program in Windows that requires the use of MS ActiveSync. It works fine with Boot Camp, no hang ups at all, but with Parallels basically not at all. I have tried with 3.8, 4.1 and 4.2 MS ActiveSync versions and all results are the same.
I have spoken with a local Apple centre, not at all biased of course (!!!), and the only explanation they can offer is that Boot Camp is an Apple product for the Mac and Parallels is in it's present state third party software (always a potential hazard with Windows!!). So until Boot Camp becomes fully integrated and hopefully "switchable" or Parallels becomes more compatible............!!
Any input please........
QUOTE Thanks
hfb320

hfb320 is on a distinguished road

I have a macbook and have parallel installed with windows xp and it works fine. I am thinking of installing boot camp but not sure what will happen. When I boot up each time will it ask me what o/s to use and will boot camp use the same programs on the parallel window partition or will I have to install everything all over again.

Help~
QUOTE Thanks
knightlie

knightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really nice
Mac Specs: Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen

Inflexion is right, you may need a newer version of Parallels with full USB support.

[URL="http://beadia.net"]Beadia[/URL - Jewelry Business Management Software]
I judge you when you use poor grammar.
QUOTE Thanks
Adam

Adam will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2 x 2.26 Quad, 6GB DDR3, iPhone 4

My version of Parallels has USB support and I have no problem connecting things.. but sometimes I have to change which USB device is connected on bottom right where the disk drive incons are etc... has that got anything to do with it?

Ad
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How do I delete a windows volume, anyone? | Ecommerce Software »