New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

It makes me sick


Thread Closed

 
Thread Tools
corysw

 
corysw's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 22, 2004
Location: Earth.
Posts: 208
corysw is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: G5 1.8GHz, 3GB RAM; Macbook Air

corysw is offline
Articles all over the internet are talking about how the delay(s) of Vista will cause consumers to seek "alternatives". But what they don't understand is that 90% of people don't even know what a Mac is. When holiday time comes, people will supposedly not want to buy a Dell because it has Windows XP instead of Windows Vista. It works in theory, but that's just not the reality.
Kokopelli
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Outside of a small crowd I don't think people really care. XP, Vista, whatever. Forum regulars and tech geeks are not the majority. Due to advice from the geeks holiday sales might take a hit, but I do not see a mass migration happening that's for sure.
smeshy123

 
Member Since: Jun 01, 2005
Posts: 184
smeshy123 is on a distinguished road

smeshy123 is offline
I'm a senior in high school, and I can tell you that the people in my school graduating are having a very difficult time deciding whether they want to get a mac or a pc, and a much larger portion of them will be getting macs, so I think that mac targeting the younger audience will pay off in the end. As apple switches the younger community over, they will slowly gain market share. The teens get laptops, the parents go oh how cool! It's so easy! (like my mom), and then the parents eventually get desktops and such for themselves.

I don't think this speculation of more people moving over to macs is totally unwarranted. I've seen it start happening over the past 2-3 years of my high school education.

Smeshy

15.4" Macbook Pro 1.83Ghz 2GB RAM 80GB HD Mac OS x 10.4.4
1.8Ghz P4 1024mb RAM 2x80GB, 1x160GB, 1x250GB HD's Windows XP and SuSe Linux 9
IPOD 6gb Lime Green Mini
corysw

 
corysw's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 22, 2004
Location: Earth.
Posts: 208
corysw is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: G5 1.8GHz, 3GB RAM; Macbook Air

corysw is offline
I've also noticed that you very rarely see Windows PCs on TV.
To name a few,
In almost any commercial involving a website, the browser is IE for Mac OS 9.
You can also tell by what color the cursor is.
The computers on those "TBS Funny" commercials are flat-panel iMacs.
On Friends, Ross uses a Powerbook G4, and there is a Tangerine iBook on the desk in the back of Monica's apartment.
On Sex & the City, Carrie uses a Powerbook G3.
On Seinfeld, depending on the season, there is either a Performa or a 20th Anniversary Mac in Jerry's apartment.
On Bernie Mac, Vanessa's computer is an iMac G4.
On The Sopranos, Tony has an iBook G4.

Not to mention this article:
http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,50441,00.html
smeshy123

 
Member Since: Jun 01, 2005
Posts: 184
smeshy123 is on a distinguished road

smeshy123 is offline
Haha, I love 24, that article is great!

Smeshy

15.4" Macbook Pro 1.83Ghz 2GB RAM 80GB HD Mac OS x 10.4.4
1.8Ghz P4 1024mb RAM 2x80GB, 1x160GB, 1x250GB HD's Windows XP and SuSe Linux 9
IPOD 6gb Lime Green Mini
baggss

 
baggss's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 10, 2004
Location: Margaritaville
Posts: 10,309
baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

baggss is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by corysw
Articles all over the internet are talking about how the delay(s) of Vista will cause consumers to seek "alternatives". But what they don't understand is that 90% of people don't even know what a Mac is. When holiday time comes, people will supposedly not want to buy a Dell because it has Windows XP instead of Windows Vista. It works in theory, but that's just not the reality.
I don' know that it will make people choose alternatives, but it may make people just keep their money instead of making the new purchase. A new OS is often the catalyst for many to buy new hardware. This is likely to impact companies like Dell and HP more than MS. There will be a certain number who will look at a Mac, but not, I suspect, droves of them.

And I completely disagree with your hypothesis that "90%" of them don't know what a Mac is. The popularity of the iPod has changed that and many more consumers are a ware of the Mac platform since they bought their iPods in Apple retail stores. The iPods "Halo" effect on the Mac market is real and it's not slowing down.


lil
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Few people I have met don't know what a Mac is. Most would see it as that other computer, the one that isn't a PC—and thats where the buck stops. Virtually none would know it runs Mac OS X.

That said a lost of interest in the Macintosh is still generated by a little curiosity on the part of a switcher. Otherwise it remains a known yet unknown entity it would seem to most!

Vicky
corysw

 
corysw's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 22, 2004
Location: Earth.
Posts: 208
corysw is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: G5 1.8GHz, 3GB RAM; Macbook Air

corysw is offline
"Most would see it as that other computer, the one that isn't a PC—and thats where the buck stops. Virtually none would know it runs Mac OS X"
Exactly. baggss - when I said they don't know what a Mac is, I didn't mean it literally, per se. I meant that they would just think it's another computer manufacturer like Dell or HP, completely unaware of the fact that they run an entirely different operating system. I just get upset when I think about how many people would be delighted to spend an extra $300 on a Mac, if only they knew how great OS X was. No viruses... no worrying about opening emails from people you don't know... no installing drivers... no stupid little animated dog thing when you're trying to type... no inexplicably superfluous product activation...
Smartz

 
Member Since: Dec 01, 2005
Posts: 169
Smartz is on a distinguished road

Smartz is offline
I'd like to say that as someone who only recently ( last 2 years ) switched I would say that i would agree with the unknown quantity line. I was always under the impressions that Mac's were extremely expensive and offered no real benefits....now i feel like Dr Mac as i keep recommending my friends and family to make the switch.

Vista could work to really galvanise many people and the launch of a well featured Leopard could then help the PC user to move forward. On a off note one thing that Mac really do need to address if it wants to grab market share is to target gamers.

It is rubbish when i hear people say that gamers are not an important market or that Mac's are not about games. Gamers are a very important PC buying segment and i think that Dell's purchase of Alienware shows that it is a good, high margin market to be in. If only there was a way to run PC games via virtulisation at full boot camp style graphically accelerated speed, then i could see those who do enjoy dipping into some gaming being attracted. Failing that Apple should start working with someone like Nintendo to port the type of games that are making the likes of the DS sell by the bucket loads.
baggss

 
baggss's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 10, 2004
Location: Margaritaville
Posts: 10,309
baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

baggss is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by corysw
Exactly. baggss - when I said they don't know what a Mac is, I didn't mean it literally, per se. I meant that they would just think it's another computer manufacturer like Dell or HP, completely unaware of the fact that they run an entirely different operating system. I just get upset when I think about how many people would be delighted to spend an extra $300 on a Mac, if only they knew how great OS X was. No viruses... no worrying about opening emails from people you don't know... no installing drivers... no stupid little animated dog thing when you're trying to type... no inexplicably superfluous product activation...
Ok, I can agree with that.

Quote:
It is rubbish when i hear people say that gamers are not an important market or that Mac's are not about games. Gamers are a very important PC buying segment and i think that Dell's purchase of Alienware shows that it is a good, high margin market to be in. If only there was a way to run PC games via virtulisation at full boot camp style graphically accelerated speed, then i could see those who do enjoy dipping into some gaming being attracted. Failing that Apple should start working with someone like Nintendo to port the type of games that are making the likes of the DS sell by the bucket loads.
Games are a HUGE part of the PC market, I don't think there is any real debate on that. The Mac is good at the games that are available for the platform. Apple has never been big in the gaming world because they have chosen not to be, plain and simple. Apples not going to work with Nintendo or anyone else because they don't want to. That is just a sad truth.


dimagex20

 
dimagex20's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 03, 2006
Posts: 202
dimagex20 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven

dimagex20 is offline
Time will tell.

It's all good.
kaidomac

 
Member Since: Jan 18, 2006
Posts: 1,868
kaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nice
Mac Specs: G4 Cube

kaidomac is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeshy123
Haha, I love 24, that article is great!

Smeshy
I have to say I was quite proud seeing a Cube on the show when I watched it again a few months ago
MacMania55

 
MacMania55's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 18, 2006
Posts: 443
MacMania55 is a jewel in the roughMacMania55 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb

MacMania55 is offline
I think alot of people know who apple computer is but dont know what the **** mac osX is. Tons of people at my school use windows( mainly for games). Many say they think macs are pricey and useless

MacMania55
caveatipss
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeshy123
I'm a senior in high school, and I can tell you that the people in my school graduating are having a very difficult time deciding whether they want to get a mac or a pc, and a much larger portion of them will be getting macs, so I think that mac targeting the younger audience will pay off in the end. As apple switches the younger community over, they will slowly gain market share. The teens get laptops, the parents go oh how cool! It's so easy! (like my mom), and then the parents eventually get desktops and such for themselves.

I don't think this speculation of more people moving over to macs is totally unwarranted. I've seen it start happening over the past 2-3 years of my high school education.

Smeshy
Since Bootcamp now exists, why would anyone ever want to buy another PC?
Left Face Down
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveatipss
Since Bootcamp now exists, why would anyone ever want to buy another PC?

Only one reason, the ease of changing out the parts. Personally all of my computer literate friends are getting to the point where we don't even want to touch an OEM PC. The quality just bites so hard and we can build a way better computer, most of us being gamers, for the same price.


Mac has always had that rep of not likeing even after-market RAM. It seems like it varies from computer to computer almost. Seeing reviews on Newegg.com (PC builders will know that site by heart) with one person saying this does or does not work with the Apple MacBook Pro (to name one) and then a review after saying, they are lieing it doesn't or does work with the Apple MacBook Pro.


Yeah, like some one is going to drop $200~ and then lie about if it works or not.

Thread Closed


« Trouble with Azureus | OSX Server - Tracking & Profiling »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
New HD Makes a High Pitched Noise menace3054 Apple Desktops 10 04-27-2005 04:05 PM
G5 makes "fan power up" sounds every few minutes Morgan19 Apple Desktops 5 02-04-2005 10:11 AM
Jobs makes 2003 Scientific American 50 list Murlyn Apple Rumors and Reports 1 11-21-2003 11:16 AM
Apple VP: iPod makes money, not iTunes Store Murlyn Apple Rumors and Reports 1 10-17-2003 12:15 AM
So sick of PowerBook msett Apple Notebooks 7 10-16-2003 02:55 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?