New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Vista is "a warmed over copy of Mac OS X Tiger"


Thread Closed

 
Thread Tools
MJGUK
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by macreamer
The funniest thing is every Mac Podcast or forum you go to, the biggest thing since sliced bread is running XP on a Mac.

Seriously i have not seen so much hysteria over anything else in the Mac world.

This from people who always hate and bag MS and Windows.

You keep on hearing from Mac fans how much better OSX is then XP but as soon as XP can work on the Mac the same people go bonkers
Well I think really the key is to think about why that is, not just the fact that it's happening.

I mean, sure people are going 'Omgomg' at the idea of running Windows on a Mac.....But why is that? Is it because we all think Windows is 'SUCH' a great operating system that we just can't wait to put OSX and in the bin and 'Switch' (no pun intended)?
Well personally I don't believe that is the case (on average, by far).

I think there are several reasons why this is exciting/interesting and so on.....

1) For years and years.....and years, we've had the Mac Vs Windows 'issue'. For years Mac fans have hated Windows, Windows fans have hated Macs.....And the very idea of running a Windows OS on a Mac a few years ago....Well maybe I'm wrong, but I think the thought is pretty crazy....In fact, before it became obvious that this time it would actually happen, many people thought it was crazy today too. So really, just the idea of running 'Windows' on a 'Mac' is a bit 'HUH!?!!' to start with.....In this sense, I think it has a pretty huge 'Surprise Factor'.

2) Quite a few Mac users also quite like playing games. Whilst the gaming options on a Mac have increased in recent times we're still some way behind the games available/accessable on the PC format. So really, to some Mac/OS X users who consciously converted away from Windows.....The idea of having a Windows partition available just to play games or such, is very appealing.

3) I think Apple's tactic in luring Windows users to the platform by the proxy of Windows, is working very very well so far.
I think the amount of hysteria you talk about, somewhat proves this. I mean it doesn't directly prove that all these people who buy the Mac and primarily use Windows are absolutally going to prefer OS X, it doesn't prove that. But I think you'd agree, they are MORE than likely to actually use the OS X partition, at least a few times....and personally, I think Apple believes that is all it will take to convert those users. I tend to agree. See, I almost find this hard to believe now....But I actually used to be an Apple basher (/whap), I mean I used to knock Macs quite a lot....'uncompatable, expensive, won't play games etc', I really didn't know what I was talking about. Because the moment I actually used OS X, I loved it and in fact, at that point I was still biased against the OS.....Yet I still liked it. This somewhat annoyed me at first, because I knew I was wrong....misguided and very foolish for having the opinions I did. But that really doesn't matter now because after 10 years of using Windows as what I would describe as a 'Pro' user, I'd never willingly touch Windows over OS X now....Never. In fact i'd rather use a Unix flavor such as Linux or FreeBSD before I went back. I just think Apple has a lot of faith in their corner, when it comes to a battle of 'Windows Vs OS X' and really, who can blame them?
Even that aside, they are still, regardless shipping numerous copies of OS X to people who use Windows on Macs and they are successfully increasing their market share.
lil
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Uhh. I haven't gone bonkers over XP on a Mac. Ok, sure I don't have an Intel Macintosh but if I did, and when I doI have no need for Windows, I spend most of my working week wrestling with it as it is.

Vicky
vansouza
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

The bloody fear of vista caused me to rethink the whole PC thing.. then I got a macmini. I now have a HPa1250n sitting looking pretty and doing nothing... well it is getting ready to run Linux...
techster82

 
techster82's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 07, 2006
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 586
techster82 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)

techster82 is offline
Isn't the saying something like "imitation is the highest form of flattery"?
baggss

 
baggss's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 10, 2004
Location: Margaritaville
Posts: 10,309
baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

baggss is offline
I don't see how that applies....


Left Face Down
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by techster82
Isn't the saying something like "imitation is the highest form of flattery"?
Ok, your point? I mean, I understand where you are going with this but my point is Windows copies Linux/Mac... Mac copies Win/Linux... Linux copies Win/Mac. We all copy eachother, it's just the way the world turns.


Some one is always going to have a heads up on the others and then the others will "copy" that thing as much as they can with out getting sued. Just for the record, and totally random statement to this post, I like the little Windows logo being the start menu. I also like that the bar itself has been "Squished" a little bit to be closer to the size of the bar on a Mac.


I was hopeing they'd do that, and when I first saw it I was so happy!
macmini3399

 
macmini3399's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 25, 2005
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 234
macmini3399 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Intel Core solo Mac mini 1.5GHz, Headless Powerbook G4 500MHz

macmini3399 is offline
I say let them have their Windows, as most of you know, im getting a Core Solo Mac Mini in 18 days and I recently(yesterday) put my PC in the closet!, im using my PB 3400 with OS 9 because when I went to Login to windows XP, it said Falied to log in because of account disabilites, Im the Administrator! so Im using my PB 3400 till my birthday(May 9th) Im just fed up with windows and it's problems
[/End Rant]

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba View Post
My wife's switching.... she just doesn't know it yet
dimagex20

 
dimagex20's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 03, 2006
Posts: 202
dimagex20 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven

dimagex20 is offline
Windows has their OS, and we have Mac OS X. I think I will stay on Macs side of the fence and not care to much about what goes on in Window's backyard.

It's all good.
baggss

 
baggss's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 10, 2004
Location: Margaritaville
Posts: 10,309
baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

baggss is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimagex20
Windows has their OS, and we have Mac OS X. I think I will stay on Macs side of the fence and not care to much about what goes on in Window's backyard.
I agree. The problem is that you come to a Mac forum to discuss the Mac and Mac related things, and yet there seems to be an unchecked Windows gang going around and defending MS and arguing about OSX vs Vista/XP. They seem to have the attitude that it is their job to enlighten us to how bad Windows isn't, despite the fact that nearly every Mac user here has chosen the Mac over Windows for some reason. Seems to that if this a Mac forum, why is this happening? If you want to go praise MS and Windows, go find a Windows forum.


Smartz

 
Member Since: Dec 01, 2005
Posts: 169
Smartz is on a distinguished road

Smartz is offline
On a different approach, I have an intel Mac and decided to use the parrellels option instead of Boot Camp. I found that a little copy of windows 98 running as and when i needed it in a VM form was a good thing.

Personally I have stated on here before that Vista is a big white elephant. As someone who purchases my office IT equipment i would see no real benefit going from XP to Vista and this will be part of the problem. Vista is to my mind like a Porsche you've bought, the ad said it had electric windows and a turbo and a flashy stereo setup. When it arrives about 2 years late you find that the windows are winders, theres no turbo in fact the engine is the same as the older 95 version of the car.....I mean who would really buy into that????

I laugh at the latest series of MS ad's showing the chalked castles round a laptop etc...talking about security and protection. To my mind if you build a castle out of sand dont expect it weather the storm! Vista will be a house of cards and I do hope it causes MS sufficient pain and public failure, who knows perhaps they will finally put Bill out to pasture and actually start creating some decent products again!
ANDS!
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss
If you want to go praise MS and Windows, go find a Windows forum.
Because APPLE now makes products that can run MICROSOFT software. So whether you like it or not, Windows has now broken down that barrier that have kept some users from experiencing the well crafted design of an APPLE product, without having to ditch the ease of use of Windows.
baggss

 
baggss's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 10, 2004
Location: Margaritaville
Posts: 10,309
baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

baggss is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDS!
Because APPLE now makes products that can run MICROSOFT software. So whether you like it or not, Windows has now broken down that barrier that have kept some users from experiencing the well crafted design of an APPLE product, without having to ditch the ease of use of Windows.

Wether I like it or not is immaterial. There have been programs that allowed you to run Windows on a Mac for some time and some years back there was the ability to add a PCI card to your Mac that would run Windows natively. This is not really a new or huge issue, but folks like you seem to want to make it a huge issue. If Apple were including a copy of WinXP with the purchase of new Mac or Bootcamp, I would still not consider it huge. Running Windows on your Mac simply makes it a pretty PC that happens to be made by Apple. Nothing more, nothing less and certainly not the big deal you are making it out to be.


ANDS!
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Nothing more, nothing less and certainly not the big deal you are making it out to be.
You are just one cranky MAC user arent you. . .funny because I actually thought - "hey maybe that stereotype about the pompous MAC user is just that - a stereotype. . ."

Great - youre unimpressed with BOOTCAMP, its your right, and by God you can scream it from the rafters.

I am, and it has put APPLE in the list of contenders for a laptop upgrade. I'm not particularly concerned whether you think this new tech SPECIFICALLY supported by APPLE is deserving of my attention. Im exploring my options, and dropping a line where I see fit - if that doesnt agree with you. . .tough.

Salud
Left Face Down
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDS!
You are just one cranky MAC user arent you. . .funny because I actually thought - "hey maybe that stereotype about the pompous MAC user is just that - a stereotype. . ."
Lets see here, first off Apple is who came out with the software to put Windows on their machines so what you previously said was wrong. (see quote below)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDS!
So whether you like it or not, Windows has now broken down that barrier
Now on to the next isssue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDS!
Great - youre unimpressed with BOOTCAMP, its your right, and by God you can scream it from the rafters.

It's been done before... as stated above. It's not THAT new... and people are making it out to be a lot more than it is.


That's really all I have to say. Also, FYI... I don't own a Mac and while I did have plans, I was some what forced due to various reasons into replacing my PC laptop with another PC laptop.
baggss

 
baggss's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 10, 2004
Location: Margaritaville
Posts: 10,309
baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

baggss is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDS!
You are just one cranky MAC user arent you. . .funny because I actually thought - "hey maybe that stereotype about the pompous MAC user is just that - a stereotype. . ."

Great - youre unimpressed with BOOTCAMP, its your right, and by God you can scream it from the rafters.

I am, and it has put APPLE in the list of contenders for a laptop upgrade. I'm not particularly concerned whether you think this new tech SPECIFICALLY supported by APPLE is deserving of my attention. Im exploring my options, and dropping a line where I see fit - if that doesnt agree with you. . .tough.

Salud
If bootcamp is luring you to buy a Mac laptop, than Apples plan has worked. I don't care what you do, as long as it is best for you. Just because this is a big deal fore you doesn't make it a big deal for everybody. Coming from the PC world it may seem like a huge thing for you. Coming from the Mac world, this doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

If you choose to lump me in with a stereotype, thats fine, but just because I don't agree with you doesn't make cranky or pompous, it makes me an individual with an opinion that differs from yours. You are fitting into the typical Windows stereotype in the same breath as you accuse me.



Thread Closed


« Is there a screensaver generator... | Mac Os 8 - 9 ??? I can find nowhere:: »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
iPod for Windows and Mac? MacAddikt iPod Hardware and Accessories 12 03-31-2007 09:33 AM
pc to mac.. now back to pc.. my g5 1.6 biggest headache! dankim723 Apple Desktops 25 05-14-2005 11:05 AM
Your Mac Life tonight... schweb Schweb's Lounge 0 03-26-2003 12:21 PM
Mac Users Get More ISP Choices schweb Apple Rumors and Reports 1 03-06-2003 10:57 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?