New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Boot camp Xp, installing service pack 2 after windows?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

macymacmac

This is my first post, so Hello!
Has anyone had much luck installing xp on their intel mac with a copy that doesn't include service pack 2 (i.e. installing service pack 2 seperately)?

I have tried this on my macbook pro (before installing the mac drivers) and the following is what happened:
1. Windows installed fine.
2. I ejected the xp cd and put in a cd with service pack 2 that i had burnt earlier.
3. It begun to install fine until the final little bit when it stopped and said there was not enough space on my drive to fit the remaining 2mb on (obviously not true, as I had over 7gb of space left over).

Anyone have any ideas on getting around this, or success stories? I am not a super techy, so maybe I tired something out of my depth.

I also tried installing the mac drivers, and it again haulted when it couldnt find the usb2 driver in windows.

Any help anyone provides would be greatly appreciated!
thanks,
Scott
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

I thought you had to have a full Windows XP SP2 retail disc to get it to load properly. I was not under the impression that you could upgrade to SP2, but that the initial instal had to be SP2.

QUOTE Thanks
macymacmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss
I thought you had to have a full Windows XP SP2 retail disc to get it to load properly. I was not under the impression that you could upgrade to SP2, but that the initial instal had to be SP2.
I used a single disk copy of xp that was released before the days of service pack 2, hence I downloaded sp2 and put it on a disk to install l8r. The install of windows worked fine, but sp2 would not install, nor would the drivers.
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss
i do believe this is true. maybe some folks out there will make some sort of patch or workaround of this issue because i am sure there are tons and tons of people who have windows xp and then a disk for sp2 or however that works

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
tenbellys

make another copy of your xp disk and slipstream your sp2 into it. there are many a tutorial on the internet to do this, then burn the final image and it installs xp and sp2 at the same time.
QUOTE Thanks
macymacmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenbellys
make another copy of your xp disk and slipstream your sp2 into it. there are many a tutorial on the internet to do this, then burn the final image and it installs xp and sp2 at the same time.
Thanks tenbellys! Found a tute online, I will see how it works, and report on here
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1626
QUOTE Thanks
macymacmac

Actually, looks like this method requires extracting the contents of the sp2 .exe file to slipstream it onto the xp cd... a little difficult to do in os x. I will have to borrow someones pc to give this a go. cheers
QUOTE Thanks
tenbellys

sorry i forgot to mention that bit, but its only once you need to do it, just save the iso img to a usb hdd or usb pen so you have a backup of it.
QUOTE Thanks
kaidomac

kaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nice
Mac Specs: G4 Cube

Quote:
Originally Posted by macymacmac
Actually, looks like this method requires extracting the contents of the sp2 .exe file to slipstream it onto the xp cd... a little difficult to do in os x. I will have to borrow someones pc to give this a go. cheers
Just install Parallel's virtualization beta & XP, then make the disc from there in OS X Oh the games we play...
QUOTE Thanks
Daddy Elmis

Daddy Elmis has a spectacular aura about

Going back, did XP without SP2 install and run with Boot Camp?
QUOTE Thanks
mfernandez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy Elmis
Going back, did XP without SP2 install and run with Boot Camp?
NO, mine crashed and formated my HD, dont try it!

im going to get a copy of xp, a ligit version and try again with SP2
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Why are people doing this? The Apple site clearly states that you will need:

A bona fide installation disc for Microsoft Windows XP, Service Pack 2, Home or Professional (No multi-disc, upgrade or Media Center versions.)

I think that makes it pretty clear.

QUOTE Thanks
macymacmac

i did it without sp2, and xp seemed to install and run fine.... until i tried to install sp2 and the drivers... so yeah, prob don't try it
QUOTE Thanks
BlindingLights

BlindingLights is a jewel in the roughBlindingLights is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD

that's weird...

Come on, people... read the istructions? This is straight from the printout IN A BLUE BOX!!!

"IMPORTANT: You must use a single-disc, full-install Windows XP CD that includes Service Pack 2. You cannot use an upgrade version of Windows XP, or install an earlier version of Windows XP and update it later to SP2."

the back of our computer looks better than the front of theirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_boy22
i can store many dvds on 1 floppy so it's essential to me
QUOTE Thanks
Warden

I'm here to tell you that you CAN build a slipstreamed disk based on an upgrade version of XP, even without SP2. I built one on an Upgrade version of XP Pro SP1, added SP2, added the folders required for the single disk to also have Windows ME on it so the upgrade would work, and even built the Mac Drivers onto the same disk. Downside was that the final image was so large I had to burn it onto a DVD, but that was a minor issue. Had one moment of terror when it appeared the installation wasn't finding my ME files and so wouldn't allow the install to continue, but after telling it to try again, it found them and off we went.

Now I'm running XP Pro SP2 on an ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS 24" iMac w/ Intel Core 2 Duo running at 2.33 GHz. This is a KILLER machine. Can't decide, however, if I'm happier with OS/X or XP Pro on this baby... Only time will tell...

Warden
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« External Hard Drive - Different Formats for mac and win? | Ubuntu Gutsy along with GRUB away from Leopard's way »