Problems with old imac
    I was in the process of updating my daughters imac to OS 9.2.1 when it froze on the Mac OS Assitant setup. Would not go past it, would not let me do anything. I then turned it off, added 256 RAM and next time I started it up all I get is a blue screen and the clock in the righthand corner.

What did I do?

What can be done to undo this problem?

My eventual goal was to upgrade her to OSX but did not get that far, although I do have the software.

Thanks

Badger
    What model of iMac do you have? Regardless of that, the first step is to remove the memory you added; making hardware changes to a computer that isn't working right just complicates the issue. Now try to start up with a OS 9 system CD. One thing NOT to do is try to load OS X (or even use a CD with OS X on it) until you are sure the firmware has been updated. Using X on a slot-loading CD iMac will do very frustrating things to the computer if the firmware is not the latest version. (The firmware issue does not affect the original, tray-load iMacs.) If the computer starts from the OS 9 CD then reformat the hard drive and install OS 9 again or use the "Restore" CD that came with the computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger
    What model of iMac do you have? Regardless of that, the first step is to remove the memory you added; making hardware changes to a computer that isn't working right just complicates the issue. Now try to start up with a OS 9 system CD. One thing NOT to do is try to load OS X (or even use a CD with OS X on it) until you are sure the firmware has been updated. Using X on a slot-loading CD iMac will do very frustrating things to the computer if the firmware is not the latest version. (The firmware issue does not affect the original, tray-load iMacs.) If the computer starts from the OS 9 CD then reformat the hard drive and install OS 9 again or use the "Restore" CD that came with the computer.

Thanks very much that worked.

Specs:
    mac os 10
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger

I am real confused...I have the death screen too. On an IMAc . the "et looking design. so I do what?

Thread Information