New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Problems with old imac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

snavemit

snavemit is on a distinguished road

I was in the process of updating my daughters imac to OS 9.2.1 when it froze on the Mac OS Assitant setup. Would not go past it, would not let me do anything. I then turned it off, added 256 RAM and next time I started it up all I get is a blue screen and the clock in the righthand corner.

What did I do?

What can be done to undo this problem?

My eventual goal was to upgrade her to OSX but did not get that far, although I do have the software.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Badger

What model of iMac do you have? Regardless of that, the first step is to remove the memory you added; making hardware changes to a computer that isn't working right just complicates the issue. Now try to start up with a OS 9 system CD. One thing NOT to do is try to load OS X (or even use a CD with OS X on it) until you are sure the firmware has been updated. Using X on a slot-loading CD iMac will do very frustrating things to the computer if the firmware is not the latest version. (The firmware issue does not affect the original, tray-load iMacs.) If the computer starts from the OS 9 CD then reformat the hard drive and install OS 9 again or use the "Restore" CD that came with the computer.
QUOTE Thanks
snavemit

snavemit is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger
What model of iMac do you have? Regardless of that, the first step is to remove the memory you added; making hardware changes to a computer that isn't working right just complicates the issue. Now try to start up with a OS 9 system CD. One thing NOT to do is try to load OS X (or even use a CD with OS X on it) until you are sure the firmware has been updated. Using X on a slot-loading CD iMac will do very frustrating things to the computer if the firmware is not the latest version. (The firmware issue does not affect the original, tray-load iMacs.) If the computer starts from the OS 9 CD then reformat the hard drive and install OS 9 again or use the "Restore" CD that came with the computer.

Thanks very much that worked.
QUOTE Thanks
brupaint

brupaint is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: mac os 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger

I am real confused...I have the death screen too. On an IMAc . the "et looking design. so I do what?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« X1600 overclock question | MAC os9 Remote Desktop connection »