New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

How to remove "Boot legacy OS from HD" of rEFIt?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lucky1082

lucky1082 is on a distinguished road

Dear All,

My Macbook Air installed Mac OS X 10.9.4 and Win 7 Ultimate. I install rEFIt to use boot menu. I have problem that the rEFIt automatically add one more "Boot legacy OS from HD" on boot menu. Please let me know is there any way to remove this boot legacy on boot menu?
I had read this thread: [ubuntu] refit for triple boot - remove legacy os from boot menu but can not use the code:
'sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/disk0 bs=440 count=1'
Mac terminal show that: dd: /dev/disk0: Resource busy
My mac have no Linux. How can i use this code on mac?

Thank you very much!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

I don't think you can remove it. What's I think is happening is that rEFIt is detecting your Recovery Partition on your MBA and is providing you with a way to boot to it. You do realize that you have three bootable partitions, right? OS X 10.9.4 (Macintosh HD), Windows 7 (Boot Camp) and OS X 10.9.4 Recovery. Leave everything alone or remove rEFIt.
QUOTE Thanks
lucky1082

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I don't think you can remove it. What's I think is happening is that rEFIt is detecting your Recovery Partition on your MBA and is providing you with a way to boot to it. You do realize that you have three bootable partitions, right? OS X 10.9.4 (Macintosh HD), Windows 7 (Boot Camp) and OS X 10.9.4 Recovery. Leave everything alone or remove rEFIt.
Thank for your comment! But i don't think so because the true notification is "Boot legacy OS from DATA" and the DATA is name of partition use for storage data. My hard drive is devided to three partitions: 1 Mac OS, 1 Win 7, and 1 DATA. Is there any advice?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

What happens when you select the "Boot legacy OS from HD" upon startup? Where does it boot you to?
QUOTE Thanks
lucky1082

Quote:
What happens when you select the "Boot legacy OS from HD" upon startup? Where does it boot you to?
Only display black screen with cursor on the left top corner.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

OK. Why don't you remove that "Data" partition? But before you do, can you provide us with a screen shot of what your partitions look like? Boot to the recovery partition (command + R) and select "Utilities", then select "Disk Utility". Click on the partition tab and take a screen shot of what it looks like and paste it here. I'm not sure if you can safely remove the "Data" partition without having to reinstall Windows 7.

Also, you should review the rEFIt documentation to see if there is an easier way. LINK
QUOTE Thanks
lucky1082

Quote:
OK. Why don't you remove that "Data" partition? But before you do, can you provide us with a screen shot of what your partitions look like? Boot to the recovery partition (command + R) and select "Utilities", then select "Disk Utility". Click on the partition tab and take a screen shot of what it looks like and paste it here. I'm not sure if you can safely remove the "Data" partition without having to reinstall Windows 7.

Also, you should review the rEFIt documentation to see if there is an easier way. LINK
Please click link below to download and see screen shot:
https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...zIxbUFGZW9obGs
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

I just took a look at your screen shot. You do not have a Recovery partition for some reason or you removed it when you created the "Data" partition. You're not going to be able to remove the "Data" partition without destroying Windows 7's ability to boot.

As I stated before, you do not need a "Data" partition as it's just a waste of space on your SSD. The only thing I can recommend is for you to start over: Remove Boot Camp using the Boot Camp Assistant from OS X and then reinstall Mavericks by downloading it again from the App store. There is no reason to create a third partition on your SSD; just give Windows 7 enough space the next time you create a Boot Camp partition.

Don't forget to backup OS X before reinstalling if you decide to do that.
QUOTE Thanks
lucky1082

Quote:
I just took a look at your screen shot. You do not have a Recovery partition for some reason or you removed it when you created the "Data" partition. You're not going to be able to remove the "Data" partition without destroying Windows 7's ability to boot.

As I stated before, you do not need a "Data" partition as it's just a waste of space on your SSD. The only thing I can recommend is for you to start over: Remove Boot Camp using the Boot Camp Assistant from OS X and then reinstall Mavericks by downloading it again from the App store. There is no reason to create a third partition on your SSD; just give Windows 7 enough space the next time you create a Boot Camp partition.

Thank you very much!
I used new version of rEFIt, it is rEFInd, the result is OK, had already removed "Boot legacy OS from HD".
Web: Managing EFI Boot Loaders for Linux: Using rEFIt
I download and install "A binary package for 64-bit x86-64 computers"

Last edited by lucky1082; 08-21-2014 at 02:00 PM.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

OK, great. Thanks for posting back. I'll have to take a look at rEFInd and maybe download a copy. I already have a copy of rEFIt. Have fun.
QUOTE Thanks
lucky1082

Quote:

I made three partitions because i want one partition for common storage, OS X and Window 7 can access to this storage partition, I mean the data can be visible by two operation systems. It is convenient for me in work. You can refer this site for details:
chainfire[dev~blog] - MBA13/2012: OSX + Win7 + Shared exFAT
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Bootcamp + windows XP not seeing as much ram as it should... | Microsoft might be making good decisions »