New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Weird hard drive problem w parallels

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Exhosa

Exhosa is on a distinguished road

Hello,

As you see in the screen shots, parallels options shows that I have 8gb space with almost full but in fact I have around 60gb which shows in my computer. Can somebody help me to fix this ?

Thank you

http://i.imgur.com/qLh0aGk.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/tjhw6ch.jpg
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

There's a difference between the virtual HD size and your actual HD size. In Parallels, you can limit how large the virtual disk gets. If you go to the VM configuration > Hardware > Hard Disk > Edit..., you can modify this value.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Exhosa

Thanks for the answer but i only have these options under that section and i tried to expand it but it doesn't affect the 8gb part..
I actually have resize file system checked must have missclicked during the screen shot

http://i.imgur.com/JUn5mtv.jpg
QUOTE Thanks
Jai665

Jai665 is on a distinguished road

I just took a look at my Windows 8.1 Parallel setup. Under General - Configurations my hard drive space does not matches the space used by Windows and apps or the allotted hard drive space.

The size I have matches more closely to the actual virtual file of windows. A PVM file. I had 14 gb that were reclaimable. I reclaimed them and checked the PVM file size with the General - Configurations size, both reduced by 14gb.

Looks like the hard drive space you are asking about is the size of the compressed data file on the mac system that parallels uses to run the virtual os.
QUOTE Thanks
Exhosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai665 View Post
I just took a look at my Windows 8.1 Parallel setup. Under General - Configurations my hard drive space does not matches the space used by Windows and apps or the allotted hard drive space.

The size I have matches more closely to the actual virtual file of windows. A PVM file. I had 14 gb that were reclaimable. I reclaimed them and checked the PVM file size with the General - Configurations size, both reduced by 14gb.

Looks like the hard drive space you are asking about is the size of the compressed data file on the mac system that parallels uses to run the virtual os.
Yes it is close to the size of that file for me too.. PVM file is 9gb and parallels shows 8.7gb.

So does that means everything is ok ? Because I know that it shows the same size of the desired hdd on there for almost everyone
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Installed Windows 8.1 onto Mac now I have an issue... | Existing Boot Camp on second hd bay does not boot on MBP mid 2012 »