New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Yosemite Beta—Having trouble with dual boot with linux

Thread Closed

agrasley

agrasley is on a distinguished road

So I recently installed the Yosemite beta on my Macbook Pro. I dual boot OS X and Ubuntu with a partitioned hard drive using rEFIt. But after installing Yosemite, rEFIt disappeared and with it, my access to my Ubuntu partition. Now, I don't have any critical files on the linux side of things, so I'm okay with just living in Yosemite if I need to, but I'd like to get the old functionality back.

I've tried various solutions and this is as far as I got so far:

I installed rEFInd following the instructions for a manual installation in OS X, as found here: The rEFInd Boot Manager: Installing rEFInd
This included going the route of making a directory under /Volumes/esp and mounting that directory.
I then moved all the rEFInd files into /Volumes/esp and blessed them as the new boot.
After restarting, I booted into rEFInd, but it only recognized my Ubuntu EFI partition and not my OS X partition.
I chose the option to recover Mac OS X that rEFInd gave me, since I wanted to first make sure I could boot back into OS X.
This took me to the restore/recover OS X utility.
I chose to just restart.
Restarted back into Yosemite.
Everything's fine, but now I've lost the ability to boot into rEFInd again without repeating the installation. The directory that I mounted in /Volumes is gone.

So I'm wondering if this is a normal behavior with regards to wiping /Volumes after a reboot or if it's a Yosemite quirk/bug. I've never really had any reason to go exploring /Volumes before so I'm not sure what its normal behavior is. I suppose what I really want to know is if there's a way that I can get a more stable installation of rEFInd that doesn't require me to mount it and then bless it each time I want to boot into my linux partition. If that's not viable, would just creating a shell script that does the mounting and blessing for me be a better option? And any ideas as to why rEFInd identified my Ubuntu partition but not my main OS X partition? Thanks.

Some other notes:

rEFIt was totally disabled, which led me to switch to rEFInd. I tried reinstalling rEFIt and it failed. rEFInd also failed to work unless I mounted /Volumes/esp and then blessed it. Just using rEFInd's install.sh did nothing. Holding the option key on startup also doesn't produce any difference.
johnodd4

johnodd4 has a spectacular aura about

the reason for this is simple refit was designed for mavericks not yosemite and by installing yosemite you removed the bootefi off of the hard drive and replaced it with the stock apple one so your machine will no longer boot mac os x time to reinstall
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

This is one reason why you should not use Yosemite as your main operating system. On a partition or external drive only until the official release, and then wait to OS X.10.2 maybe.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
uji

uji is on a distinguished road

Ok so I did some research online for you, and I found that you can re-enable refit like this:

Go to terminal and type in these two lines, one after the other.

cd /efi/refit
./enable.sh

I tested this in Yosemite beta 5 and refit became re-enabled. Hopefully this will help you get back in to Linux.

Last edited by chscag; 10-13-2014 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Removed impolite remarks. (OP: no need for them.)
uji

uji is on a distinguished road

That was my first post, which I specifically signed up for because I was annoyed by the first two replies in this thread and actually wanted to help the OP. I mentioned that people should give constructive, helpful feedback. My feedback has been edited out by a moderator. This will be my last post on this forum.

Last edited by uji; 10-15-2014 at 07:32 AM.
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by uji View Post
That was my first post, which I specifically signed up for because I was annoyed by the first two replies in this thread and actually wanted to help the OP. I mentioned that people should give constructive, helpful feedback. My feedback has been edited out by a moderator. This will be my last post on this forum.
Correction, your impolite and unnecessary remarks were edited out by an administrator. And as far as your last post... well.... please don't let the door hit you in the derriere on the way out.

And with that, we're done here.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

Thread Closed

« Did Windows copy Mac in using the term 'Apps'? | Windows 10 Test Drive »