New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

New Mac Pro and Windows

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

There may not be too many of us "blessed" with a nice brand new model Mac Pro (2013)...and even fewer that will need to run Windows on it.

According to this Apple document:

Boot Camp: System requirements for Microsoft Windows operating systems

...the new model Mac Pro (2013) can only run Windows 8 (no Windows 7).

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - 10.9.3 & iPad - iOS 5.1

Honestly, I am even surprised that they allow any version of Windows on such a " Pro " machine.
It does not fit the image they are trying to create for this kind of machine.
( my humble brand marketing background ) :-)

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

If used in the commercial world Windows is a must have. Some clients insist on artwork being done on Windows machines alas.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Windows is just about everywhere Harry. That includes the US government, State and local governments, school systems, legal, etc, etc. But I am surprised to learn that the new Mac Pro can only run Windows 8 and I guess 8.1. It might be because Windows 8 and 8.1 complies with the EFI standards.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
But I am surprised to learn that the new Mac Pro can only run Windows 8 and I guess 8.1. It might be because Windows 8 and 8.1 complies with the EFI standards.
This is what surprised me as well. I know that some folks hate Windows 8…but like Windows 7.

Most newer Mac models can do either Windows 7 or Windows 8. So surprising the 2013 Mac Pro can only do Windows 8.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Windows is just about everywhere Harry. That includes the US government, State and local governments, school systems, legal, etc, etc. But I am surprised to learn that the new Mac Pro can only run Windows 8 and I guess 8.1. It might be because Windows 8 and 8.1 complies with the EFI standards.
Thats the same here in Aust to Charlie. It was only last year or the one before, that anyone with a Mac could access the ATO sit (Aust Tax Office) you HAD to have a version of IE which ran on a Windows machine. Even last year, I couldn't register a ABN (business Number) in Safari, FF or Chrome, I had to do it all on the Windows side of my MBP.

The quicker Governments learn the better they will be. My Fiancé Is a Teacher, and they just received a iPad 4 for every kid in the school, and they are having problems updating such a huge amount on the Windows Server. They don't even have the $3k Trolley that holds 100+ iPads that does updates automatically . . . Ive offered my service, but they have a IT person, that funnily enough only knows Windows, and doesn't even have a iPhone or any Apple product

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

chscag is correct, it's because of the EFI. It no longer needs BIOS conversion (essentially what BootCamp did), so I suspect Apple is slowly moving to phase out Boot Camp entirely. Older Windows versions can still be handled more than gracefully enough with VM environments like Parallels et al.
QUOTE Thanks
MacDuck

MacDuck is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: rMBP 15"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
chscag is correct, it's because of the EFI. It no longer needs BIOS conversion (essentially what BootCamp did), so I suspect Apple is slowly moving to phase out Boot Camp entirely. Older Windows versions can still be handled more than gracefully enough with VM environments like Parallels et al.
Is that official?
I very much hope so! Windows in EFI for the future. Yes please

15" MacBook Pro retina 10,1
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

It's official as far as Microsoft is concerned. They've been long planning to go with EFI rather than use a BIOS, however, since many PC manufacturers are involved, and mostly equip their PCs with a working BIOS, it's going to take some time. Windows 8 and 8.1 do comply with the EFI standard set by Intel. Prior versions of Windows do not.
QUOTE Thanks
MacDuck

MacDuck is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: rMBP 15"

I'm hoping that when Apple decide to do something about support for EFI booting Windows they'll issue firmware updates (if required) for recent Macs.
Sound does not work in EFI Windows on my mid 2012 rMBP and yet other Macs with the same Cirus setup work fine. I don't think it can be a driver issue so the only thing left to my mind is a firmware difference - maybe.
That may be hoping for too much though :-)

15" MacBook Pro retina 10,1
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I'm having trouble excluding iPhoto from a zip backup | parallels not shutting down on mac »