New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Installing BC4 onto a MBP running Mavericks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacPCmb

MacPCmb is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2011 SSD + HD Mavericks, MacPro 2006, MacMini Server 2010

Working with a client that needs Windows 7 on their Late 2008 15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.66 GHz Core2Duo CPU, 8 GB of RAM (max for this MBP), and OS X 10.9 Mavericks.
First tried installing Windows 7 64-bit onto VMWare Fusion 6, but found the performance was unacceptably slow, even though VMware Fusion 6 supports it. Backed up that VM for future use by the client on one of their other Macs.
Checked the Apple Support pages for Boot Camp support ( link ) and found that this particular MBP can only support Windows 7 32-bit running under Boot Camp 4.
Question is -- how do we install Boot Camp 4 on a Mac running Mavericks?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

In Apple speak, "Boot Camp" references the support (or driver) package - not Boot Camp Assistant.

You will use the Boot Camp Assistant that is installed on the machine to install Windows.
After Windows is installed, then you'll need the BC4 support package which you'll install while booted into Windows.

If you scroll down to the bottom of the link you provided - under 'Downloading Boot Camp drivers", as I'm sure you already found out the Boot Camp 4 link doesn't work - click on the Boot Camp 5 link - it actually takes you to a search with multiple versions of Boot Camp - I think the 4.1.4586 should be the one you'll want for Win 7 support.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
MacPCmb

MacPCmb is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2011 SSD + HD Mavericks, MacPro 2006, MacMini Server 2010

Thanks very much for your clarification -- when I read the Apple Support article I quoted, it seemed to be calling for BootCamp 4 (part of OS X 10.8) vs. BootCamp 5 (part of OS X 10.9). I will do as you suggested and check to see if it performs better on that particular MBP. FYI -- I run Win XP under Boot Camp on my MacPro under OS X 10.7, though more often than not, I just use this BC partition with Parallels. I run it in full BC mode when I need access to the full system resources (100% of the RAM for some CAD applications).
----------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
In Apple speak, "Boot Camp" references the support (or driver) package - not Boot Camp Assistant.

You will use the Boot Camp Assistant that is installed on the machine to install Windows.
After Windows is installed, then you'll need the BC4 support package which you'll install while booted into Windows.

If you scroll down to the bottom of the link you provided - under 'Downloading Boot Camp drivers", as I'm sure you already found out the Boot Camp 4 link doesn't work - click on the Boot Camp 5 link - it actually takes you to a search with multiple versions of Boot Camp - I think the 4.1.4586 should be the one you'll want for Win 7 support.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problem: repair disk permission and windows damaged | Triple boot windows 8, windows 7 and mavericks on my Mac »