New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Want to bootcamp to game, read the stickies... still confused

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ScaryFatKidGT

ScaryFatKidGT is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP 15" 2.6 i7 with GT 650M, 16gb ram

So I want see how much better games run on windows, what should I format the partition to?

When I download windows 7 how do I burn it to a disk? And what drivers will I have to download?

I have everything backed up on time machine.
QUOTE Thanks
ScaryFatKidGT

Can you only bootcamp from a flashdrivve not a CD?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Just follow the Boot Camp directions. You'll be instructed to download a driver disk image from Apple which will contain the proper drivers for your MacBook Pro in order to run Windows. Initially, Boot Camp will format a partition and size that you designate to FAT-32, and the Windows 7 installer will afterward format that partition to NTFS so it can be used for Windows 7.

If you purchase Windows 7 direct from Microsoft, it will be downloaded as an executable file which you will have to run on a Windows machine in order to change it to an ISO. And if your MacBook Pro does not have a disk drive, you'll need to install Windows 7 from a flash drive or an external hard drive.
QUOTE Thanks
ScaryFatKidGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Just follow the Boot Camp directions. You'll be instructed to download a driver disk image from Apple which will contain the proper drivers for your MacBook Pro in order to run Windows. Initially, Boot Camp will format a partition and size that you designate to FAT-32, and the Windows 7 installer will afterward format that partition to NTFS so it can be used for Windows 7.

If you purchase Windows 7 direct from Microsoft, it will be downloaded as an executable file which you will have to run on a Windows machine in order to change it to an ISO. And if your MacBook Pro does not have a disk drive, you'll need to install Windows 7 from a flash drive or an external hard drive.
I'm burning ISO file to a DVD right now
QUOTE Thanks
ScaryFatKidGT

So I need a flashdrive mo matter what? even tho I made a disk... and I cant use a SD card IT HAS TO BE A FLASH DRIVE? this is a pain
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryFatKidGT View Post
So I need a flashdrive mo matter what? even tho I made a disk... and I cant use a SD card IT HAS TO BE A FLASH DRIVE? this is a pain

Just teasing:

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

If you don't have at least two flash drives hiding in the pockets of the pants you wore yesterday, I'm gonna have to ask for your nerd license back.
QUOTE Thanks
ScaryFatKidGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
If you don't have at least two flash drives hiding in the pockets of the pants you wore yesterday, I'm gonna have to ask for your nerd license back.
Lol I have 2 but they have stuff on them, I have SD cards EVERYWHERE
QUOTE Thanks
ScaryFatKidGT

It wont work it keeps saying there is an error

I'm using these Official Windows 7 SP1 ISO Image Downloads | Windows 7 Forums

the x64 english one
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

What good is that going to do? That's only the Microsoft free download of Service Pack 1 for Windows 7. Won't do you much good at all without an already installation of Windows 7. Microsoft service packs are always free but there ain't no free lunch for Windows 7!
QUOTE Thanks
ScaryFatKidGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
What good is that going to do? That's only the Microsoft free download of Service Pack 1 for Windows 7. Won't do you much good at all without an already installation of Windows 7. Microsoft service packs are always free but there ain't no free lunch for Windows 7!
I got it, it said it didn't instal right but I guess it did and with out a product key?

Only problem is in windows 7 it tells me my password for league of legends is wrong????? but in os x it works fine?????

and the start up gray screen isn't as bright? more gray and less white is this normal? also how do I have the default boot be OS X? its currently windows and I have to hold option to get it to OS X. Also windows takes along time to start it sits at a black screen with a blinking dash for about 60 seconds before loading, is this normal?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

The ISO will install OK if you already have Windows 7 installed and registered with the correct product key. That's what I was getting at above. It looks like you did have it installed and registered, activated. So the ISO installed OK along with SP 1.

As far as setting up the boot sequence to your liking, you can do that from the Boot Camp Control Panel applet in Windows 7 or from System Preferences, Startup Disk. I don't remember Windows 7 taking that long to boot from a restart. 60 seconds is a rather long time. I was using rEFIt at the time and it handled the boot sequence from a startup menu.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Check out the League of Legends web site. Some games require two versions and two passwords.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
ScaryFatKidGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Check out the League of Legends web site. Some games require two versions and two passwords.
It had something to do with the windows clock sync, Internet Explorer settings or getting ride of mediabooster but anyway I got it to work.

If anyone is thinking about this DO IT! I went from med-high at 60fps sometimes dropping, to a constant 100+ fps or more (OS X seems to cap the FR at 60) on very high with AA on HOLY COW! haha
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Best OS and config for Parallels to just run Outlook and Sharepoint | Bootcamp Windows 2560x1440 external monitor problem »