New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Running Vista on a MacBook Pro?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gizmo8899

gizmo8899 is an unknown at this point

First, there's a very particular reason I want to do this: for years, there's a game I've wanted to play Supreme Commander. It was released in 2007 and is available on Steam. I bought it on Steam hoping to run it via Wine, but there are huge glitches. I don't have the cash for a totally new computer, so I figure my best option is to get Windows running on my Mac.

My computer is a MacBook Pro, 2.66GHz, with an Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 8GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM, running OSX 10.6.8.

I am looking to run Vista as I gather it'll be cheaper than the newer Windows, and because I want to play a game released in 2007, which has Vista as its ideal Windows version. The recommended specs include "Windows Vista, 1GB of RAM, 3GHz MB video RAM, DirectX 9 Vertex Shader/Pixel Shader 2.0 support [Nvidia 6800 or better).

So, I have 3 questions:

1) IF I get Vista going on my Mac, will I be able to play this game?

2) How can I get Vista running? I gather I need to partition my computer. Is this difficult for a layperson? Any guides would be greatly appreciated.

3) How much will Vista cost me? I am happy to purchase it legally, but I'd like to avoid paying $200 or something for the program.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

You may want to give these two threads a read as a "beginner's course" regarding what you're thinking of doing:

Running Windows on a Mac: A Switcher's Guide
Bootcamp: Save yourself possibly hours of time:

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Alternative to installing Windows on your Mac. | problem with parallels 9 »