New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

How to install Window 7 in my rMBP late 2013 256GB?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

limkoksiong

limkoksiong is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" rMBP late 2013 i5 8GB 256GB , IPad 3 , IPad mini , IPhone 4, IPhone 5

Greetings

Hi everyone, I just got my rMBP late 2013 i5 8GB 256GB 2 weeks ago and keep figuring and google all possible steps to install a Windows 7 on my rMBP. I had seen quite many ways to install a window on macbook and I need steps by steps guides here. Since this is the first time I using OSX, I am quite confused and couldn't find a complete guideline to install window on Mavericks. Wanted to play some games and auto cad on window . Desperate for helps here.

Thanks guys !
QUOTE Thanks
Joncon

Joncon is on a distinguished road

Hi there,

You can install windows on to your mac using boot camp assistant which will be in your applications folder.

Contained within this is a step by step guide for partitioning your mac and installing windows.

Jonny

MacBook Pro 13" 2.5GHz i5 / iPhone 5 16GB
QUOTE Thanks
limkoksiong

Mac Specs: 13" rMBP late 2013 i5 8GB 256GB , IPad 3 , IPad mini , IPhone 4, IPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joncon View Post
Hi there,

You can install windows on to your mac using boot camp assistant which will be in your applications folder.

Contained within this is a step by step guide for partitioning your mac and installing windows.

Jonny

Thanks for your reply. Could I know how many GB should I allocate for the Window 7 ? Just for auto cad and some games .
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Here's the Apple page about bootcamp:
Apple - Support - Boot Camp

But if you start the Bootcamp Assistant (it's pre-installed on your Mac) and click "open the bootcamp help" you'll be taken to a step-by-step guide. Read and re-read the guide before progressing through the bootcamp assistant steps.

It's pretty straightforward. The assistant basically retrieves the appropriate windows drivers, partitions your disk, starst the Windows installer then install the windows drivers.

You'll need Windows 7 or 8 64bit edition

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by limkoksiong View Post
Thanks for your reply. Could I know how many GB should I allocate for the Window 7 ? Just for auto cad and some games .
That really depends on what you have to install. "Some games" might mean a few mb install or 25gb.

I'd suggest 100gb is a reasonable balance but it's a question only you can answer really

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Joncon

Joncon is on a distinguished road

Recommended 2GB RAM, 20GB on your hard disk if you are installing windows for the first time. 40GB if you are upgrading from a previous windows version.

Then you would have to add on the size of any programs you wish to install.

MacBook Pro 13" 2.5GHz i5 / iPhone 5 16GB
QUOTE Thanks
limkoksiong

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
Here's the Apple page about bootcamp:
Apple - Support - Boot Camp

But if you start the Bootcamp Assistant (it's pre-installed on your Mac) and click "open the bootcamp help" you'll be taken to a step-by-step guide. Read and re-read the guide before progressing through the bootcamp assistant steps.

It's pretty straightforward. The assistant basically retrieves the appropriate windows drivers, partitions your disk, starst the Windows installer then install the windows drivers.

You'll need Windows 7 or 8 64bit edition

Thanks! hmm just a question. Do I need to get a copy of Window 7 in a USB ? Or how would I going to use the Window 7 installer during the installation?
QUOTE Thanks
limkoksiong

Quote:
That really depends on what you have to install. "Some games" might mean a few mb install or 25gb.

I'd suggest 100gb is a reasonable balance but it's a question only you can answer really

Yes. It seems that only I can answer the question. 80gb should be enough for me.
Thanks man !
QUOTE Thanks
limkoksiong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joncon View Post
Recommended 2GB RAM, 20GB on your hard disk if you are installing windows for the first time. 40GB if you are upgrading from a previous windows version.

Then you would have to add on the size of any programs you wish to install.

Okay! Thanks !
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

Quote:
Originally Posted by limkoksiong View Post
Thanks! hmm just a question. Do I need to get a copy of Window 7 in a USB ? Or how would I going to use the Window 7 installer during the installation?
That's the best way or you can connect and external DVD drive and use a retail windows dvd

QUOTE Thanks
limkoksiong

Quote:
That's the best way or you can connect and external DVD drive and use a retail windows dvd
I have no external DVD drive. =( But I have an original license serial number of window 7 and 8. What should I do ?
QUOTE Thanks
Mitsang

Mitsang is on a distinguished road

I have not taken the Bootcamp route. I have Windows XP running simultaneously with Mavericks, since my WIndows useage is restricted to some Bank sites.

I use "VirtualBox" - by Oracle. The only negative is.... I havent yet figured out how to maximise the screen in VirtualBox. But.... it does the job of allowing me to use two OS's without shutting Mac down, beautifully. It may seem complicated to set-up.... but it isnt. I am a Finance guy, and I managed it without help.

You can even Alt-Tab to swithc between windows. And BTW - my MBP has only 4GB RAM!
QUOTE Thanks
Mitsang

Forgot to mention 2 important things :

1) I was using PARALLELS. Till it became incompatible with Mavericks..... Parallels guys wanted $50 for an upgrade !

2) VirtualBox is FREE. And it uses far lesser resources than Parallels.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsang View Post
I have not taken the Bootcamp route. I have Windows XP running simultaneously with Mavericks, since my WIndows useage is restricted to some Bank sites.

I use "VirtualBox" - by Oracle. The only negative is.... I havent yet figured out how to maximise the screen in VirtualBox. But.... it does the job of allowing me to use two OS's without shutting Mac down, beautifully. It may seem complicated to set-up.... but it isnt. I am a Finance guy, and I managed it without help.

You can even Alt-Tab to swithc between windows. And BTW - my MBP has only 4GB RAM!
Make sure you've installed the extensions within virtual box then change you windows resolution to match your native resolution to go full screen

QUOTE Thanks
Mitsang

MrPlow .... Thank you so much for such a prompt repsonse!

Pardon my ignorance.... but I couldnt find any "Extensions" in the site (https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads) or the software itself. BTW - I am running VirtualBox version 4.3.0

I saw that 4.3.2 is out, but when I clicked on Check for Updates....it said i was using the latest version.

Would really appreciate yur guidance here...

Thanks !

Mitsang
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What's the procedure for importing Bootcamp partition as a vm in Fusion? | Objective C compiler on windows 7 x64 »