New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

What's the procedure for importing Bootcamp partition as a vm in Fusion?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacDuck

MacDuck is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: rMBP 15"

Hi all, I've imported the BC partition (Windows 8.1) as a vm in VMWare Fusion (5) and all works well.
However, it wants activating and will not allow it as the product key is in use on the BC partition.
I have phoned MS and they say it's different hardware so needs a new product key. I don't agree

I have seen other posts on VMWare forums where people have had no issue activating with this set up.

As a last resort I could delete the BC partition (which would likely happen anyway) and then I'd have only one set of hardware for MS to worry about but due to their attitude I don't know whether they would even activate it then

Also my Windows 8.1 BC installation has been upgraded to Windows Media Centre so that gives me a new product key. Which one should I be using to try to activate it in the vm? MS couldn't or wouldn't help in that respect.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

15" MacBook Pro retina 10,1
QUOTE Thanks
MacDuck

Another question!
Is it better to import the BC as a vm or to just do a fresh install of Windows 8.1 in Fusion?

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I would go with the fresh install but that probably won't help you trying to get MS to activate it for you. If you're not in a hurry you could wait until MS recycles their activation data base and try again. They recycle the data base every 90 to 120 days.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Alas Microsoft have the final say on activating the code and what they say goes. Removing the BC partition may solve the problem if you raise it with them. In my experience with Microsoft a lot of interest flies out the window (pun) when they are advised you are using BootCamp on a Mac.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
In my experience with Microsoft a lot of interest flies out the window (pun) when they are advised you are using BootCamp on a Mac.
What Harry is really saying is that Microsoft is paranoid about piracy and they get all up in a dither when you mention Boot Camp or Virtual Software.
QUOTE Thanks
MacDuck

Thanks guys.
Well the main reason for me needing to use Bootcamp has now gone (the program I needed to run in a vm would not run in a nested vm and cannot be re-installed).
So I dumped BC and fresh installed Windows 8.1 in Fusion 5 and MS activated it by phone with no problem at all! Then I ran the add features routine and put in my WMC key and that was activated too.
What all the fuss was about I have no idea.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Windows 8 on rMBP Haswell | How to install Window 7 in my rMBP late 2013 256GB? »