New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Windows PE, Ghost, and a MAC. I have it working but need some help.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

buck614

buck614 is on a distinguished road

I have been trying to boot a mac to Windows PE for a couple of weeks. It appears that a MAC will only boot to PE 3.x and not PE 4.x.

I AM able to get a MAC to boot to a Windows PE image that is PE 3.x 32 bit.I am trying to get a 64bit PE working to accommodate all of the available MAC drivers out there.

Has anyone had any luck getting a MAC to boot to a windows PE image either on a CD/DVD or a USB key?

I am hoping to get a good Windows PE image with ghost on it so I can back up any MAC with any configuration regardless of whether it is running a MAC OS, Windows, or both.

You can have Ghost do that backup if it does a sector backup which I am fine with.

I would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Sounds like a total waste of time since Windows PE is a sub set of Vista... Backing up any Mac is easy; it can be done with Carbon Copy Cloner (OS X and Recovery) and WinClone (Windows). You don't need Windows PE anything or Norton Ghost.
QUOTE Thanks
buck614

buck614 is on a distinguished road

We have some dual boot MAC's that run Mac os and Windows. I would like one solution that does it all.

Also PE can be based on Vista, 7, or 8.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

As far as I know, there is not one backup solution (similar to Ghost) that will serve for all your Macs. The author of Carbon Copy Cloner indicated some time ago that he was working on a version that would do both HFS+ and FAT\NTFS. Nothing from him yet.

I understand what you're trying to do with Windows PE and Ghost, but to be honest, I don't think it's going to work, and if it should, it may be more time consuming than using what I indicated in my first reply.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I need help with using bootcamp for xp x86 install | Problems installing Windows 8 Upgrade (from 7) on Mac »