Specs:
    MacBook Pro 7,1 | Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz | 4GB RAM | OS 10.8.5
    exFAT best for OSX and Windows 7?
    Hi, reconfiguring my boot camp set up. I'm going to be running OSX on 1 HDD and Win 7 on another.

Getting a 3rd internal drive for media to be accessed on both OSX ML and Windows 7. I'm thinking of making the file system exFAT because it seems like articles I'm finding say it's good for access between OSX and Win.

Any options on exFAT? It seems like there aren't any limitations on it as far as file size, but I don't know much about its stability across operating systems and the whole Microsoft licensing bit.
    "Babe, if you were DNA, I'd wanna be your helicase so I could unzip those genes." So smooth.

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    I would personally not use exFAT or any iteration of the FAT file system. The FAT file system is a non jounaled file system and is prone to errors. Use NTFS instead which is a journaled file system which provides for better stability and recovery of lost data. You will of course need a driver to access NTFS from OS X. We recommend Paragon NTFS which you can download from Paragon Software: LINK It's $19.95.

Specs:
    I ended up formatting the drive as NTFS as recommended, not exFAT. I was thinking about Paragon's NTFS for Mac, but I think all I actually need is to have a stable drive readable in OSX, not necessarily writeable. And I've read a few things about the Paragon software, saying that it can mess with the drive…
    "Babe, if you were DNA, I'd wanna be your helicase so I could unzip those genes." So smooth.

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Don't know what you read about Paragon NTFS, but everyone here who is using it says it's stable and causes no problems whatsoever. There are several other schemes that are able to write to NTFS which do cause problems; those we do not recommend. Paragon NTFS is the only driver we recommend. However, it's up to you.

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    ditto

If you don't need write access, no need for it.
    While I'm sure there must be something out there somewhere on the web, it is the only NTFS driver which I seriously can't remember seeing one negative report. I've also been using it since their first beta.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Specs:
    Well I did come across a handful of good posts about Paragon's software, but some of the 'reviews' on cnet said it had given them some problems.

If it's a recommendation by mac forums though, I'll consider it.

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    As noted, if you don't need write access, stick with OS X's driver which is read-only but works perfectly.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Thread Information