New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Bootcamp restoration fails

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MiniMax

MiniMax is on a distinguished road

I have a Mac mini with both SSD (256 GB) and HD (500GB). I want to clone the SSD to the HD as a fall back solution if OS X or Bootcamp crash. The cloning of OS X 10.8.5 has worked flawlessly several times using Carbon Copy Cloner.

But so far I did not manage to restore a single Windows 7 Pro Bootcamp partition to the Drives. I tried Winclone in the new version: It restored but gave my a partition error in the end and the partition was useless.

And then I tried Paragon. I have bought Hard Drive Manager 2012 Suite and have made several Rescue USB sticks and Windows PE Boot sticks and DVDs. But whereas they perfectly boot other Windows machines, they don't make it with the Mac. The Recovery Sticks hang in the first screen, neither Mouse nor Enter work. And the Boot DVD hangs after completing the progress bar "Windows is loading files".

What "worked" was Clonezilla: I made a Live Linux USB stick and simply mirrored the whole SSD to the internal HD. The HD-side works now, both OS boot, OS X as well as Windows 7. But I lost Windows 7 Botcamp on my SSD. Only the Mac partion still boots into OS X.

Now even a genuin Windows 7 boot-DVD hangs with wich I wanted to fix posible bootloader errors. It too freezes with "Windows is loading files".

What went wrong? What can I do?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Only thing I know of that works pretty good is WinClone.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
MiniMax

Yes, I know Winclone too. In my starting post I already described the problems that I had several times with this programm: The backup works (sometimes not in the first place but finally it gives a file of probable file size). But the restore does *not* work properly: It restores endlessly (I hate programms that do not show a progress bar) but it ends with a fatal error, that partition sizes somehow mismatch (I have not written down the exact wording). And I use the current version 4 of Winclone from twocanoes software
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Sorry, missed that.

Can't really assist much as I have never personally attempted a backup/restore of a Windows partition on my Macs. I don't keep any data in either a Windows VM or partition on a Mac that I care about. Anything created gets immediately transferred to OS X or to my primary Windows machine.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
MiniMax

For me it is the other way round. I bought the Mac mini mainly for its hardware: small, relative silent, good build quality. And above else Windows compatibility. I have worked with Windows since MS-DOS times so to say. And even after a relative easy plunge into the OS X world I decided to go back where my roots are: Windows. I work with MS Office, OCR Software and some other stuff, where there is no real equivalent under OS X.
I tried to run it both ways with Parallels 8 and VMware Fusion 6 even Virtualbox as I have virtual machines in this format from Windows PCs.

I even contemplated to get rid of thew Mac partition and run Windows only. But for redundancy and as a fall back I will keep the OS X boot partitions and even will update to Mavericks even if this means the end for my Parallels-Windows (I hate their policy of basically selling a subscription programme with their frequent and expensive updates.)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac freezing when loading Win 7 32b | Black screen on bootcamp startup »