New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Black screen on bootcamp startup

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Fulcanelli

Fulcanelli is on a distinguished road

I've been looking for a solution to this problem to no avail so I thought I'd post it here. I have a mid 2009 Macbook Pro running os 10.6.8 that before yesterday was running windows 7 perfectly fine. Yesterday I had successfully installed the original fallout. To run the program properly I had to run it in compatibility mode for windows 98. Everything was working fine. I quit out because I wanted to play the Witcher, but when I booted it up the screen just went black, I couldn't do anything. control alt delete and control shift escape did nothing so I was forced to power it down by holding the power button. When I powered my machine back on and booted my windows partition the black screen showed up and the cursor blinked a few times and then nothing. I couldn't force safe mode or anything. After trying everything I could think of I decided to delete my partition and reinstall windows, but every time I make the partition and insert the disk to run it just goes to that black screen and I can't do anything. Does anyone have any ideas of how to fix this?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
After trying everything I could think of I decided to delete my partition and reinstall windows, but every time I make the partition and insert the disk to run it just goes to that black screen and I can't do anything. Does anyone have any ideas of how to fix this?
Tell us how you deleted the Windows partition? You should have used the Boot Camp Assistant from Snow Leopard to remove it. Did you do it that way or from Disk Utility?

The black screen you experienced when you ran the game in 98 compatibility mode is because you can not use compatibility mode from a Boot Camp dual boot. As far as I'm aware, it doesn't work. The black screen with the blinking cursor indicates that there is no video driver present.
QUOTE Thanks
Fulcanelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Tell us how you deleted the Windows partition? You should have used the Boot Camp Assistant from Snow Leopard to remove it. Did you do it that way or from Disk Utility?
I deleted the partition via bootcamp assistant in snow leopard

Is there anyway to reinstall the drivers, or get them to respond?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Does Windows 7 install at all or are you getting the black screen when you insert the Windows 7 DVD?

If Windows 7 installs and then goes to a black screen it means that the video driver is not installed. Your Snow Leopard DVD contains drivers for Windows but does not support Windows 7 directly. You need to update your version of Boot Camp to get the latest Windows 7 drivers. How did you install Windows 7 before?
QUOTE Thanks
Fulcanelli

I never get the the install screen. It goes black before that.

I installed it the same way before. I created the partition via bootcamp, then when it asked me to put the install disk I did. The computer rebooted into the windows install screen and it ran just fine. When that was finished I put my snow leopard disk in and it installed the drivers. I updated bootcamp and that was it. I was running fine for about 2 months with no problems until now
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

I don't understand then why that's happening unless your Windows 7 DVD somehow is damaged or dirty. Could also be a problem with your DVD drive. Try blowing some compressed air into the drive slot from a compressed air can. Let us know if that works.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Bootcamp restoration fails | Black Screen after Windows 7 32bit boots »