New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Ubuntu vm has no internet since Mavericks upgrade

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacDuck

MacDuck is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: rMBP 15"

The network icon appears normally and says it's connected but neither the browser or the update utility can connect to anything.
I'm using VMWare Fusion 5.0.3 and yesterday upgraded ML to Mavericks.
Connection was fine yesterday but today it's not
It must be Mavericks related but I don't know why.
Any ideas please?
Thanks.

15" MacBook Pro retina 10,1
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

My understanding is that VMWare Fusion will not work correctly with Mavericks until you upgrade your version 5 to 6. Please check with the VMWare Fusion forums for more info regarding the upgrade and pricing.
QUOTE Thanks
MacDuck

Thanks chscag, I suspected this and looked on VMWare support for further info. Basically they seem to say try it and see. In fact there are problems with Mavericks and VMWare Fusion 6.
I've tried deleting the Ubuntu vm and installing fresh but there's still no internet available.
If they think I'm going to spend another 40 or so because OSX has been upgraded they're mistaken.
No free update = no VMWare Fusion for me :-)

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Have you tried the free VirtualBox from Oracle? However, I don't know if it will work OK with Mavericks although it does work with Mountain Lion.
QUOTE Thanks
MacDuck

I'm having a look now although it does seem there may be a cpu recognition problem. I'll have a mooch around :-)
Cheers chscag.

QUOTE Thanks
MacDuck

Ubuntu 13.10 is working fine in VirtualBox :-)
A few settings needed changing.
The only oddity is that I have to hold the pointer just a little below whatever I want to click on, which is strange.
Apart from that it's fine in Mavericks :-)

QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

I'm using VMware Fusion 5.0.3 and just upgraded to Mavericks. My Ubuntu 12.04 VM is fine as far as connectivity and other aspects are concerned.

I'll hold off on upgrading until VMWare Fusion is included in another Mac bundle..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
MacDuck

An update
My network connection was switched to share with mac. I set it to auto detect and now it works fine.
I don't know what it was set to before but I'm wondering if it was changed by the upgrade to Mavericks?
So now I've got a VirtualBox Ubuntu vm and a VMWare Fusion vm. I'll see which one performs best :-)

edit
what's yours set to Raz0rEdge please?

QUOTE Thanks
Alwyn

Alwyn is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 500 Gb HD OS X 10.10.1; iPad Mini iOS 8.1.1;iPhone 4s iOS 8.1.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Have you tried the free VirtualBox from Oracle? However, I don't know if it will work OK with Mavericks although it does work with Mountain Lion.
You need to install Virtual Box 4.3. Once you have installed it you need to install the extension pack. Make sure that you install the extension pack for 4.3 specifically.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Any way to run IE over remote desktop etc? | iMac freezing when loading Win 7 32b »