New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Windows 8 will not sleep when I close my MacBook Pro lid... black screen

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jderosa3

jderosa3 is on a distinguished road

I have a the last version of the 17" MacBook Pro model with the following specs:

Windows 8 64-bit
Intel Core i7 2.40 GHz
16GB RAM

I have from what I can tell everything working perfectly fine with the exception of the laptop properly going to sleep when I close the lid. I installed the Boot Camp Support Software 5.0.5033 and also updated the AMD Radeon HD 6700M drivers to get the video card working properly.

When I close the lid... the machine will seemingly "sleep" but it will not wake. The screen stays black and I have to shut it off completely and back on. I miss being abel to just close the lid when I need to and then just pick up where I left off.

Anyone else have this issue with Windows 8? Searching the web shows no results - I assume someone else has had this issue. Thanks for any feedback or thoughts you may have.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The only thing I can suggest is to check the power saver settings for your MacBook Pro. Not the OS X settings, but the settings from the Windows 8 Control Panel. Not sure what Windows 8 calls those settings as I do not have a machine with Windows 8 installed.
QUOTE Thanks
jderosa3

I went over those settings... but that is not the issue... it seems to freeze when sleeping and you cannot wake it back up. That is what I am not sure about.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
it seems to freeze when sleeping and you cannot wake it back up
The next thing I would look at is if the video driver you're using is the correct one for your machine. You mentioned you updated the AMD Radeon HD 6700M driver in order to get the video card working properly. You might want to experiment a bit more to see if perhaps a different version of the driver is better suited. I know it's a pain having to fool with drivers but I suspect that may be your problem.
QUOTE Thanks
jderosa3

Genius! I rolled back the driver to the one that I got with the Boot Camp software and I am back in business! Thanks for the advice. Didn't realize the video card would make such a difference! Thank you!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

That's good news! Video drivers are usually suspect when odd things occur in Windows like freezing or poor power saving features (not sleeping, etc.). I don't know why Windows is so fussy and OS X is so elegant. That's why we love our Macs. Anyway, glad you're back in business. Have fun and visit us often.
QUOTE Thanks
jderosa3

Feels good to be running on all cylinders! Thanks again for the tip...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can't switch back from Windows 7 to OS X | Any way to run IE over remote desktop etc? »