New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Cant delete/remove windows 8 recovery disk

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pibolar

pibolar is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2013 iMac, 3.5GHz Quad i7, 24GB RAM, GTX 780m, 10.8.5, iPhone5s

I was running Windows 7 via bootcamp then i deleted the windows partition, a friend said i could borrow their windows 8 disk to install it and if i liked it i would buy a licence key, i installed it. used it for a few days i just didnt really get on with it at all, so i deleted the windows partition again and reinstalled windows 7 however i noticed there was two start up disks labelled 'Windows' when i clicked on the second one it was the windows 8 recovery drive, i then once again deleted windows hoping that it would then disappear also but it is still there, so now when i hold alt/option when i boot up there is two disk i can select, one osx and the other a windows 8 recovery even though i have no windows installed, also in disk utility it shows that my whole hard drive is in one partition, i dont understand why it would delete!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

You do need to uninstall Windows 7 using the BootCamp Assistant. If you did not do this, open up BootCamp as if you were doing an install and delete there which will take the hard drive back to a single OS X partition.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

You were supposed to remove the Windows 8 recovery drive from the Windows 8 boot drive before you removed Windows 8. You remember when you inquired about this before and I asked you in my reply if you had created another partition within Windows? That's what happened.

I'm not sure how you can get rid of the Windows 8 recovery drive. Re-installing Windows 7 is not going to do it, however, try this:

From within Windows 7, open Disk Manager. You should be able to "see" the Windows 8 recovery drive. If you can "see" it from Disk Manager, try removing it from there. Let us know if that works.
QUOTE Thanks
pibolar

Mac Specs: Late 2013 iMac, 3.5GHz Quad i7, 24GB RAM, GTX 780m, 10.8.5, iPhone5s

unfortunatly ive completly erased my hard drive (well as much as i was able to) ive just re installed osx have have no windows installed yet... however windows recovery still remains should i reinstall wiindows 8 and try that way?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure I would reinstall Windows 8 for now. Do you by chance have another OS X disk on hand? I realize your new iMac came with Mountain Lion but was wondering if you might have a Snow Leopard disk? If you do, you could boot with it and completely wipe the drive including the boot sector. Mountain Lion recovery does not completely wipe the drive which is why the Windows 8 recovery partition is still showing up. Let us know.
QUOTE Thanks
pibolar

i do have snow leopard disk BUT wont that remove mountain lion from my hard drive? then i will be stuck with Snow Leopard?
QUOTE Thanks
pibolar

also i was meaning to ask, my 1TB fusion drive (1TB HDD and 128GB sad = 1228gb /.1.128TB) is only showing up as 1.12TB in disk utility and activity monitor, is that right?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

First... the info regarding your Fusion drive is correct. Nothing to worry about there.

Second: Yes, booting with the Snow Leopard disk will wipe the drive completely clean but will not install Snow Leopard. Did you create a Mountain Lion boot disk? If not, you don't want to use that method until you do.

What you need to do in that case, is download Mountain Lion again from Apple but do not install it. Instead, create a Mountain Lion boot disk. You'll need an 8 GB flash drive and these instructions.

After you've made the ML boot disk, you can use your Snow Leopard DVD to boot the machine and clean wipe the entire drive. After that, boot with the ML boot disk and install ML. That will install ML and also a new ML recovery partition.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

By the way, here are some instructions for removing the Windows 8 recovery partition. A bit complicated but as you can see it's done from Windows 8: LINK
QUOTE Thanks
pibolar

i didnt think it was possible to make a ML boot disk as my Mac came preinstalled with ML and ive not brought it from app store
QUOTE Thanks
pibolar

just had another thought, if i used my snow leopard disks to wipe my hard drive 100% and then installed snow leopard and the just boot disk of lion or mountain lion to 'upgrade' i dont think this would be on my fusion drive as im sure snow leopard wont recognise my fusion drive so wouldnt install on it, so my 'upgarde' would also install on the normal 1TB part of my fusion
QUOTE Thanks
pibolar

not sure if this will help my cause but here is my list of disks via terminal

/dev/disk0
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk0
1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_CoreStorage 999.3 GB disk0s2
3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3
/dev/disk1
0: GUID_partition_scheme *121.3 GB disk1
1: EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1
2: Apple_CoreStorage 121.0 GB disk1s2
3: Apple_Boot Boot OS X 134.2 MB disk1s3
/dev/disk2
0: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD *1.1 TB disk2
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

pibolar you should receive a free version of Mavericks OS X.9 on release. Check out the Apple web site. When you download that burn to a USB thumb drive prior to running the Installer. Here is one suggested way and making the thumb drive:-

http://9to5mac.com/2013/06/13/how-to...store-package/

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Does anyone have the 3.0.2 Update for Final Cut Pro 3 for OS9? | Warning to Parallels users... »