New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Build 7600 Error - Windows on VMware

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ahmedg

ahmedg is on a distinguished road

Hi. I have a question regarding Windows on VMware fusion. I downloaded Windows through University software and inserted the product key. However, some time later (I don't exactly remember if it was 30 days or not, since this happened a while ago), I was told my copy of Windows wasn't genuine. I took it to the IT department at my school and they told me this happened because I downloaded an "upgrade only" product key and not windows itself. I mainly used Mac OS X anyway but now I am required to use Windows for a class.

They told me the way I can fix this is to re-download and re-install VMware fusion and reinstall Windows on it, since the product keys they provide now are not "upgrade only." I am wondering if it is necessary to uninstall and then reinstall VMware fusion or if I can just uninstall/reinstall Windows only, and if someone could provide a link or resource that guides me through this process it would be much appreciated. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
I am wondering if it is necessary to uninstall and then reinstall VMware fusion or if I can just uninstall/reinstall Windows only, and if someone could provide a link or resource that guides me through this process it would be much appreciated.
You don't have to reinstall VMWare Fusion. And, you may not have to reinstall Windows either - although that I'm not certain of. What you can try, is use the newer product key that your school supplied with the current copy of Windows you have. If that doesn't work to make it genuine, then reinstall Windows over itself and use the new product key.

Either way, should be easy enough to do without further instructions.
QUOTE Thanks
ahmedg

ahmedg is on a distinguished road

Ok, I will try to install another copy of Windows. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Windows 7 Support Software Interruption Caused Corruption of Input Drivers | My mac automatically runs windows after turning on »