New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

'No Bootable Device'

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Penguinator

Penguinator is on a distinguished road

So after a partition my hard drive, and my Mac restarts, I get the 'no bootable device' error. I have installed the files of Windows 7 onto the usb, and it still gives me the error. I tried it the same method on my other mac (a bit newer) and did not have this problem. One thing I did notice is that unlike my newer mac, this does not give me the option to see my USB when I hold down option/alt, which may be the problem. So, how can I get my computer to show the usb when I hold option/hold
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

We need to know what model Macs you have. Also, what do you mean by "installed the files of Windows 7 onto the usb"?

Offhand, I'd say when you partitioned your hard drive, you wiped out your installation of OS X and as a result, have no OS to boot from.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Using Apple USB Superdrive to install Windows 7 on rMBP | Install Win 8 on Air 3,1 »