New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Remote into a Windows 8 machine from iMac running 10.8.4 (Mountain Lion)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kancharla

kancharla is on a distinguished road

Hi I have an iMac that I use regularly and an old PC running Window 8 that I use occasionally. I'm trying to avoid purchasing another Windows license and using bootcamp on the iMac. The windows machine is in a closet with no monitor/keyboard/mouse attached to it, I'd like to remote into it from the mac once in a while.

I've tried Microsoft RDC but looks like it'll not work with Mountain Lion/Windows 8. Does anyone else do this? How do I remote into a Win 8 machine from Mountain Lion?

Thanks for your help.
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: -->

Quote:
Originally Posted by kancharla View Post
Hi I have an iMac that I use regularly and an old PC running Window 8 that I use occasionally. I'm trying to avoid purchasing another Windows license and using bootcamp on the iMac. The windows machine is in a closet with no monitor/keyboard/mouse attached to it, I'd like to remote into it from the mac once in a while.

I've tried Microsoft RDC but looks like it'll not work with Mountain Lion/Windows 8. Does anyone else do this? How do I remote into a Win 8 machine from Mountain Lion?

Thanks for your help.
Have you tried CoRD? I gave up on Microsoft RDP long ago. I use this daily with great results.

2.4GHz 13" rMBP 256gb | 2.5GHz Mac Mini w/ FusionDrive | Mac Mini Server 2.53GHz | Mac Pro 3,1 2x 2.8GHz | Dual 2.0GHz PowerMac G5 | 24" ACD | 32GB Verizon iPhone 5S | iPad 32GB Verizon LTE | iPad mini 16GB | Gen 7 Nano | TV1 | TV3
QUOTE Thanks
kancharla

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCL View Post
Have you tried CoRD? I gave up on Microsoft RDP long ago. I use this daily with great results.
Can I power on the PC (that has no keyboard/mouse/monitor) on it and use CoRD on the iMac to log in or do I have to be logged into the windows machine to use CoRD?

Does CoRD work with Mountain Lion -> Windows 8?

Thanks for your reply.
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: -->

Quote:
Can I power on the PC (that has no keyboard/mouse/monitor) on it and use CoRD on the iMac to log in or do I have to be logged into the windows machine to use CoRD?

Does CoRD work with Mountain Lion -> Windows 8?

Thanks for your reply.
The machine will boot to a login screen, so no KVM is necessary. You will need the machine IP or hostname to connect.

Yes, it works on ML

2.4GHz 13" rMBP 256gb | 2.5GHz Mac Mini w/ FusionDrive | Mac Mini Server 2.53GHz | Mac Pro 3,1 2x 2.8GHz | Dual 2.0GHz PowerMac G5 | 24" ACD | 32GB Verizon iPhone 5S | iPad 32GB Verizon LTE | iPad mini 16GB | Gen 7 Nano | TV1 | TV3
QUOTE Thanks
kancharla

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCL View Post
The machine will boot to a login screen, so no KVM is necessary. You will need the machine IP or hostname to connect.

Yes, it works on ML
I just got home and tested CoRD and it works great. One question though, how can I specify a HostName instead of an IP Address? When I put the machine name instead of the IP it is not able to resolve the host.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
kancharla

Quote:
I just got home and tested CoRD and it works great. One question though, how can I specify a HostName instead of an IP Address? When I put the machine name instead of the IP it is not able to resolve the host.

Thanks!
Still not able to figure out how to use the Computer Name in CoRD and have it figure out the IP Address. As a work around, I created a static DHCP reservation for my windows machine so its IP address never changes. Followed this article to get this done...
How to Configure a Static DHCP Reservation with Airport Extreme - The Mac Observer

To get the mac address of the windows machine I followed this...
https://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=27309

CoRD works great, thanks for your help!
QUOTE Thanks
xdunlapx

xdunlapx is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: cMBP 13" mid-2012, 2.9 ghz i7, 8gb ram, 256 gb SSD,

I personally use LogMeIn.com which you install the driver/app onto the windows machine and then you can log in from anywhere that has a reliable fast internet connection from your mac. I use it on my mac to control my parents windows 7 laptops when they need help fixing something. It's really easy. All you do is create a logmein.com account (which is free) and the basic LogMeIn Basic is free and really all you need for basic remote control of a computer. I love using it as it gives me the ability to do what I need to do and get out of there in a timely fashion.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Install Win 8 on Air 3,1 | Virtual Box »