New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Using Apple USB Superdrive to install Windows 7 on rMBP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

khcrazy10

khcrazy10 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro Retina 15" 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7 with 16 GB DDR3 Ram running OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion

I have a brand new full install copy of Windows 7 64-bit coming sometime in the next too weeks for my mac. I plan on installing it with boot camp.

My only question, as the the Boot Camp manual does not seem to go into detail about this, is will I be able to run the boot disc directly from my Apple USB Superdrive, or do I have to rip an ISO image and create a boot disc on a USB drive?

My concern comes from the fact that the Apple Superdrive tends to be finicky when it comes to working with anything other than OSX (i've accidentally connected it directly to an older version of Windows running in VMware before realizing it was the reason my discs weren't working in the virtual machine lol).

So my question is, will there be any problem installing Windows directly from the disc with my USB Superdrive?

PS. As an added note, would there be any software or drivers people would recommend for optimal performance of Windows on my mac? My primary uses would be school programs and the occasional steam game when I'm away from the family Windows 7 desktop at home.

Thanks =D
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

No problems will install fine. Print and study the BootCamp Guidelines first as a suggestion. Use the superdrive to burn drivers on to a CD.

bootcamp - Can I install Windows 7 on a MacBook Air without a SuperDrive? - Ask Different

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
khcrazy10

khcrazy10 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro Retina 15" 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7 with 16 GB DDR3 Ram running OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion

Ok thanks! That was my only confusion about this! Can't wait to finally get the best of both Operating Systems on this thing without installing half working programs in Wine again =D

Btw... does anyone know if the funky heating this macbook is known for will cause any problems with Steam games, or will it be okay as long as I have a hard surface and my fans are working properly?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Installing Win98SE on PD 7.0.15106 | 'No Bootable Device' »