Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Jun 07, 2013
    Posts
    30
    A few questions....
    I will be getting a Macbook Pro very soon for college.
    While certain majors at my college require Macbooks, my particular major does not require them at this time. But, I've decided I would like a Macbook anyways because I've heard so many good things about them.
    Anyways, I started thinking about "Well what happens if we end up having to get certain programs that are for Windows, not Mac?".
    But, then I remembered hearing about how you can still run Windows on a Mac.
    So, I came to this section and started reading on it a little bit, mostly on this thread: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/run...ers-guide.html . But I still have several questions...
    1) Do you actually have to still buy Windows to run Windows programs on a Mac?
    2) How much do these sorts of apps/programs cost, such as BootCamp?
    3) Are they easy to use?
    4) Do the "visualization" products actually run Windows programs too, or is it merely just to look like Windows but not actually run Windows programs?

    I had a few more questions but just forgot them.

    But yeah, I'm a complete newbie when it comes to Macs, so please excuse me if these are dumb questions. I just want to make sure that if I am required to run Windows programs, I still can do that on a Mac. Otherwise, it'd probably just make more sense for me to get an actual Windows laptop.
    I don't really think I have much of an interest in using Windows too often, unless I need to in order to access certain programs that I may need for college.
    Thanks!

  2. #2

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    35,386
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonsterXo View Post
    But I still have several questions...
    1) Do you actually have to still buy Windows to run Windows programs on a Mac?
    2) How much do these sorts of apps/programs cost, such as BootCamp?
    3) Are they easy to use?
    4) Do the "visualization" products actually run Windows programs too, or is it merely just to look like Windows but not actually run Windows programs?

    I had a few more questions but just forgot them.
    1) Yes.
    2) Bootcamp is free. Parallels & vmWare Fusion usually around $75-$80...but many times there are special deals.
    3) Yes. Bootcamp will give you the best performance...but you have to reboot into Windows when installed via Bootcamp. With Parallels or vmWare Fusion...you can run the Mac OS & Windows simultaneously...but Windows is a bit slower than the bootcamp route.
    4) Yes...they run Windows programs.

    HTH,

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  3. #3

    harryb2448's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 28, 2007
    Location
    Nambucca Heads Australia
    Posts
    22,262
    Specs:
    Imac 27" Retina 5K, 512GB flash memory, 3.3GHz, 16GB memory, macOS Sierra beta.
    For more information on running Windows on your MBP see this Support Page. Also on a new machine only Windows 7 or 8 will install.

    Apple - Support - Boot Camp
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

  4. #4


    Member Since
    Jun 07, 2013
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    1) Yes.
    2) Bootcamp is free. Parallels & vmWare Fusion usually around $75-$80...but many times there are special deals.
    3) Yes. Bootcamp will give you the best performance...but you have to reboot into Windows when installed via Bootcamp. With Parallels or vmWare Fusion...you can run the Mac OS & Windows simultaneously...but Windows is a bit slower than the bootcamp route.
    4) Yes...they run Windows programs.

    HTH,

    - Nick
    1) Hmm... Even for the "visualization" ones?
    Don't really know if I'd want to have to buy Windows for it too...
    I guess I better try to call my college tomorrow and see what they really recommend, and if all software needed will also be available for Mac, or if there will be some for windows.
    But, then again, the computer labs at school do have Windows computers in them, so I could always just go to a computer lab if I really needed to maybe?
    3) So is it a pain to constantly have to reboot for Boot Camp? Like I said, I don't plan on using Windows often unless I really have to, but, just want to make sure it's not going to be a huge nuisance.

  5. #5

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    35,386
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonsterXo View Post
    1) Hmm... Even for the "visualization" ones?
    Don't really know if I'd want to have to buy Windows for it too...
    I guess I better try to call my college tomorrow and see what they really recommend, and if all software needed will also be available for Mac, or if there will be some for windows.
    But, then again, the computer labs at school do have Windows computers in them, so I could always just go to a computer lab if I really needed to maybe?
    3) So is it a pain to constantly have to reboot for Boot Camp? Like I said, I don't plan on using Windows often unless I really have to, but, just want to make sure it's not going to be a huge nuisance.
    1) Yes. Regardless of the way you run Windows on a Macintosh...you still need to have a valid install of Windows.

    2) No #2.

    3) I'm guessing you know what's involved in rebooting a computer. If you consider this a "huge nuisance"...then I guess it's a nuisance! If not...then it's not a nuisance!

    If you install Windows via virtualization...you take a bit of a performance hit (I'm really not sure how much percent-wise). But you avoid the rebooting step.

    Keep in mind with the "bootcamp" method...you can ONLY run Windows or the Mac OS (at one time)...not simultaneously (that's why you have to reboot). With the virtualization software...you can run both OS's side by side (you boot with the Mac OS & run Windows via virtualization).

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  6. #6

    Slydude's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 15, 2009
    Location
    North Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    10,458
    Specs:
    2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone 6+
    What are you going to major in? Asking your department what they recommend is a good idea but take the recommendation with a grain of salt. I find that many people, unless they are regular Mac users, are not fully aware of the Mac software that's available.
    Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

    "Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling

  7. #7


    Member Since
    Jun 07, 2013
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
    What are you going to major in? Asking your department what they recommend is a good idea but take the recommendation with a grain of salt. I find that many people, unless they are regular Mac users, are not fully aware of the Mac software that's available.
    Biology is the plan.
    My campus is pretty Mac-oriented, so I would assume they would have options available for Mac as well, but just trying to make sure I cover all my bases before I jump in and buy a Mac.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Switch to Mac - questions, questions
    By bscrabble in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-29-2013, 06:43 AM
  2. Switch to Mac - questions, questions
    By bscrabble in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-28-2013, 09:40 AM
  3. Mac book questions and general questions.
    By tennis100 in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-27-2011, 08:30 PM
  4. Leopard 10.6, Blackberry Storm, iSync, Questions, I've Got Questions
    By hookbill in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-20-2009, 10:19 AM
  5. questions about how to save edits in Aperture (and a few other questions)
    By Doug b in forum Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-10-2008, 10:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •