New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Installing Win98SE on PD 7.0.15106

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Lapsang Leaf

Lapsang Leaf is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Early 2013 13" MBPro Retina, 3GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 4000 768MB, 768GB Flash

Dear reader,

I am having many difficulties installing Win98SE on PD 7.0.15106. I want to get this old OS running for vintage gaming.

Having googled so many set-ups and workarounds I think asking for direct help is now justified! Would anyone be willing to take me through the set-up process, hurdle by hurdle?

In anticipation of any response,
Lapsang Leaf
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

What are you using?

Parallels, VMWare Fusion or VirtualBox

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
Lapsang Leaf

Mac Specs: Early 2013 13" MBPro Retina, 3GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 4000 768MB, 768GB Flash

A bootable iso, because my old CD is now corrupt. I used the SE boot disk iso from here: AllBootDisks ISO Image Downloads | AllBootDisks - Providing Free Boot Disk Downloads. MS-DOS to Windows XP.
I converted it to a floppy file and then tried to install the OS off the disk image once connected to the virtual drive. Have I got something wrong in my methodology?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

I'll repeat the question member louishen asked.... which virtual software are you using to install Win 98SE? You can't install it via Boot Camp or any other way. VMWare Fusion, Parallels, or the free VirtualBox have to be used to run 98SE. And yes, you can install it via an iso but it depends on which virtual software you're using.
QUOTE Thanks
Lapsang Leaf

As I said in the title and first post, I am using PD 7.0.15106 (Parallels Desktop 7).
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry about that.... too early in the AM I guess. But next time spell it out instead of using PD.

Parallels latest version is 8.0 by the way, however version 7 should work OK. You're going to need to mount the iso direct in Parallels and not from a virtual drive. Parallels will easily load Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7 that way and I have no reason to think it would not do the same with the 98SE iso as long as it's bootable.

I've never attempted to run anything earlier than XP in a virtual machine so the procedure may be a bit different. Anyway, if the iso doesn't mount or refuses to install, go on over to the Parallels users forums and check out their knowledge base or ask one of their members. LINK
QUOTE Thanks
Lapsang Leaf

I'm using a trial version, and unless I get this working I'm unlikely to pay the full fee. As I understand it, the Parallels forums aren't open to trial users - only fully licensed users - which is why I posted this issue here.

Can anyone else help?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

The Parallels forums are open to anyone. You can't get technical support when you're using a trial version, however, you can certainly get on their forums. Now, having said that, I'm not sure that you can load an iso or even setup a virtual machine with the trial version, otherwise why buy the license? And again as I stated before, Parallels 7 is not the current version, 8.0 is.
QUOTE Thanks
Ctrl-Opt-Del

Ctrl-Opt-Del is just really niceCtrl-Opt-Del is just really niceCtrl-Opt-Del is just really niceCtrl-Opt-Del is just really nice
Mac Specs: Not got one, yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapsang Leaf View Post
I'm using a trial version, and unless I get this working I'm unlikely to pay the full fee. As I understand it, the Parallels forums aren't open to trial users - only fully licensed users - which is why I posted this issue here.

Can anyone else help?
Try this:

Downloads Oracle VM VirtualBox

It's free & for more "obscure" OSes like the one you're trying to install there's probably more support from the Free & Open Source Software community than you'll ever find from the companies that make Parallels or VMware.

For my purposes as an engineering undergraduate; Windows is respectable (& generally necessary), Linux is admirable (& often useful), OS X is enjoyable (& requires no further justification, although plenty could be given)!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Parallels Desktop 8 | Using Apple USB Superdrive to install Windows 7 on rMBP »