New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Installing Windows on the most recent iMac.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Inksworth

Inksworth is on a distinguished road

I just recently crossed over to my first Mac desktop. I purchased the latest 3.2GHz iMac, great...had no idea they did away with a disk driver, not great. I do a lot of adobe work so I made the right choice in crossing over but to get a little game enjoyment out of it isn't too much to ask. This is the only reason i want Windows. I've been doing research and there seems to be know way to download genuine Windows software. I've looked into external disk drives and they are way expensive. I'm hoping there's way to sort this out that I maybe overlooked?

If there is already a thread about this that I haven't noticed a link would be much appreciated. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inksworth View Post
I've looked into external disk drives and they are way expensive.
You haven't been looking in the right places!

Here's what you need for only $49 bucks:

OWC VLU2SD24XS External 24X DVD DL USB 2.0... in stock at OWC

HTH,

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Take it you mean an optical drive?

A cheap Samsung SE208 works just fine. Being USB powered only, purchased a cheap four port USB hub as you need two ports to plug it into.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

The new iMacs can install Windows via a USB flash drive since they do not have a built in optical drive. Do some Googling, Apple provides the drivers and it's completely doable.

You probably should go ahead and buy the external optical drive Nick linked you to since that will come in handy to install other software and to burn disks. However, you do not an optical drive to install Windows via Boot Camp or as a virtual machine.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Run Windows software on a Mac using WineBottler! | Boot Camp installation error »