New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Run Windows software on a Mac using WineBottler!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jt1968

jt1968 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" Retina, 8GB RAM, 250GB SSD, Intel i7 2.3GHz.

I've been loathe to install a Windows partition on my shiny new MacBook Pro, especially since it only has a 250GB SSD. I spent a lot of dough on the Mac, along with the accessories (like an external Blu-Ray drive, a nice laptop bag, Office for Mac, extra power supply, etc), so I'm a cheap ******* when it comes to extras I might not really need, like VM-Ware or Parallels. So I did some searching, and I found WINE! Not the kind you drink from a bottle but, more specifically, software called "WineBottler", which you install onto the Mac as an App, and you then drag .EXE files (or self-extracting .EXE installers) into the App's icon. What it does is create a Windows environment the program will run in, and you can use OS-X at the same time.

I've read that it doesn't work with everything. I can only report on one program with which it works so far......I'm a big fan of a REALLY old, pre-internet game called "TradeWars 2002", which was originally played on BBS systems (but now there are game server websites). It's an ANSI text-based game, but in Windows I used a helper program called SWATH, which basically allows for scripting and some automation for game tasks such as port pair trading, ship-to-ship and ship-to-planet combat, port robbing, planet-to-port trading, etc, in a nicely laid-out GUI. It ONLY runs in Windows, but it works flawlessly with WineBottler.

Here is the link to their page. Totally free to download and use! You do NOT need to download Wine also - WineBottler contains the basic Wine software.

WineBottler | Downloads of WineBottler and Wine.app

Make sure you choose the correct version for your version of OS-X. I'm running it on a MacBook Pro 15" Retina, in 10.8.4 Mountain Lion.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
iPhone 5s 64GB / iPad 4th Gen. 64GB / iPad Mini 2 64GB / MacBook Pro 15" w/ Retina Display
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Moved to the appropriate forum - here. "Running Windows........."

By the way, WineBottler (which includes WINE) has been around for a long time and many of us including myself use it. However, it's good to remind folks that it's free and can be useful to run some Windows programs.
QUOTE Thanks
JUKE179r

JUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: '07 MBP 256GB SSD/6GB RAM/SL <--DAW!!!

Another Free alternate app to WineBottler is Wineskin which I prefer. I have my Windows music programs running like AutoBPM, Sony CDArchitect, MPCEditor and Propellerheads RB-338 Rebirth.

MBP 3,1 & 4,1 w/ Vertex 4 SSD | Logic Pro 9 | Ableton Live 8 | Traktor Pro 2 | AKAI MPK-49 | Roland MV-8000, TR-808 & TR-909 | Ensoniq ASR-10 | x0xb0x #911 | Denon DN-MC6000 | (3) Technics SL-1200MK1 | 3000+ vinyl records
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

It doesnt run all windows exe's. But it does run a good number.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Even better than WineBottler or WineSkin is to use Crossover. However, Crossover is not free but they do offer a free special once in awhile. You just have to keep your eyes open for when they do. I got my copy earlier this year during one of those free specials. It works great and is much easier to install Windows executables than using the WINE derivatives above.

Note though.... if you're a gamer, Boot Camp is the way to go.
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

If you watch Cult of Mac deals, Crossover comes up with a discount quite often. I got it for $10 a while back. I use Crossover for a lot of things, but the one I use most is IE9 (for testing.)

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 32-bit Win XP w/ VirtualBox on a MBP 15" retina??? | Installing Windows on the most recent iMac. »