New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Recommended partition size for MBA 128gb/ W8 pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

banditsw

banditsw is on a distinguished road

Hello. I would like to request forum members' input on amount of hard drive space to partition to install Windows 8 professional.

I have a mid-2011 MBA with 128 gb. I would like to retain the recovery partition for OSX. I installed Windows 8 professional using boot camp, and partitioned 30 gb for the boot camp/windows 8 partition, following the recommendation in the official Apple bootcamp instructions.

After installing Windows 8, I loaded MS Word and Excel 2013. After doing so, I attempted to do Windows system updates and App updates but was unable to do so. I received a message in which it was advised that my updates failed because there was lack of hard drive space.

I checked the boot camp partition by right clicking properties. It indicated that I used all of my hard drive space on that partition.

What are your thoughts on the amount of space to partition in light of the following?:

1. I intend to use OSX as the primary OS
2. I intend to use Windows 8 primarily to edit documents in Word and maybe light Excel use
3. I would like to have enough space for System/App future updates
4. I would like to have some (not much) hard drive space to store documents

I am thinking perhaps 35 gb would be sufficient to cover it. Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Windows 8 Pro x 64 bit takes up a large amount of space just for its files and system. Your drive of 128 GB is just not large enough to host both Windows 8 Pro and OS X. I suggest you consider a larger internal drive for your MBA. Also, why are you running MS Office from Windows when you could use the Mac version?

If you really want to proceed, assign at least 50 to 60 GB for Windows 8 Pro.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

When I read this question about 5 minutes ago...my first thought was (same as chscag)...128gig of storage may be a bit tight to run both the Mac OS and Windows 8. Especially if you like to keep a lot of files, photos, music, and video on the computer.

Can it be done...probably...but things may be a bit tight as time goes by...and the "file & application load" on the computer grows.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
banditsw

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Windows 8 Pro x 64 bit takes up a large amount of space just for its files and system. Your drive of 128 GB is just not large enough to host both Windows 8 Pro and OS X. I suggest you consider a larger internal drive for your MBA. Also, why are you running MS Office from Windows when you could use the Mac version?

If you really want to proceed, assign at least 50 to 60 GB for Windows 8 Pro.
I purchased a copy of MS Office and Windows 8 Pro which I uninstalled from my old laptop which I donated. I don't want to/can't afford to buy a copy of Office for Mac. I have tried other office suites like OpenOffice on OSX, but it always results in some format issues when I open the document in MS Word on another computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
When I read this question about 5 minutes ago...my first thought was (same as chscag)...128gig of storage may be a bit tight to run both the Mac OS and Windows 8. Especially if you like to keep a lot of files, photos, music, and video on the computer.

Can it be done...probably...but things may be a bit tight as time goes by...and the "file & application load" on the computer grows.

- Nick
Well, my intent for loading W8 is to use the MS Word application, plus I like W8 so wouldn't mind using it on occasion for surfing the web, etc. I don't intend to use the boot camp partition to hold lots of personal files like pictures, documents, etc.

My main concern is that I don't want to get into a situation where I would run out of space for the Windows 8/ MS Word updates. I see myself running Windows 8 without adding any additional programs or apps other than those already installed with Windows 8.

Nick, would you agree with chscag that 50-60 gb should be set aside for the boot camp partition? Or something less?

Thank you for the replies. I failed to fully consider that the boot camp partition would reduce the OSX partition to a point where it would seriously affect my ability to store files and add apps.

Probable purchasing the MS Office Suite for Mac would solve my problem, but just don't have the funds and I don't want to resort to pirated versions.

Thanks for the input!
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

If your goal is primarily to run MS Office in Windows and you already own a copy of Windows 8, perhaps you can just grab a copy of VirtualBox (free) and create a VM with like 50GB maximum given to it. Ensure to create a dynamic volume. Install Windows 8 and MS Office and then ask VirtualBox how much space you are actually using. If you're actually using 25GB, then you can delete that VM, and create a new one with just 40GB and be all set for you Windows/Office needs.

I would also suggest that you keep your documents on a Shared folder from the OS X side.

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Instead of using Boot Camp and partitioning the 128 GB SSD, have you thought about running Windows in a VM? Virtual Box is free and will run MS Office just fine. I ran MS Office 2010 from a VM for awhile and can not tell the difference. And yes, the minimum for Windows 8 Pro x 64 bit + apps like MS Office is around 50 to 60 GB.
QUOTE Thanks
banditsw

I appreciate the input guys. I am unfamiliar with VM so I will read up on it. If there are some links which you recommend, I would also appreciate it. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Sure. VirtualBox is free and can be downloaded from here. You can read up on it at the Wikipedia site at this LINK.

What is a virtual machine? LINK
QUOTE Thanks
banditsw

Quote:
Sure. VirtualBox is free and can be downloaded from here. You can read up on it at the Wikipedia site at this LINK.

What is a virtual machine? LINK
Thanks. I am going to try it out. I read the wiki info and the overview on the VM website. Does VM temporarily uses the hard drive space as opposed to bootcamp which partitions that space thereby limiting its use?

The VirtualBox site indicates that I need to create a virtual hard disk. If, for example, I create a 40gb hard disc, how is that different from creating a 40 gb partition via boot camp?

Also the Virtual Box indicates that I would need to allocate a certain amount of RAM. Since I have 4gb, would 2gb suffice (or more)?

Sorry, I tried to figure it out before asking. Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditsw View Post
Nick, would you agree with chscag that 50-60 gb should be set aside for the boot camp partition? Or something less?
One way of looking at things is...with everything installed...how much space will everything need.

For example:

- Windows 8 requires 16-20gig of storage space

Windows 8 system requirements - Microsoft Windows

- Mac OS 10.8.3 requires 8gig of storage space

https://www.apple.com/osx/specs/

Then add to this:

- the amount space you will need for all applications you want to install into each OS partition
- space you need for music, photos, videos, and existing files from applications like MS Office, Adobe, etc.
- free space for additional application installs & future files of all types.

Also consider...that your intentions today...can easily change. So certainly leave yourself some "expansion room" in each partition for apps & files.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
banditsw

Quote:
Instead of using Boot Camp and partitioning the 128 GB SSD, have you thought about running Windows in a VM? Virtual Box is free and will run MS Office just fine. I ran MS Office 2010 from a VM for awhile and can not tell the difference. And yes, the minimum for Windows 8 Pro x 64 bit + apps like MS Office is around 50 to 60 GB.
With respect to the space it takes on the hard drive, how does running W8 through VirtualBox and through a boot camp partition install differ. In reading about it, it appears that both take up space on the hard drive, the only difference being with boot camp, a separate partition is made, and requires a reboot.

For purposes of my limited 128 gb, does 1 take up less space than the other?

Perhaps I am limited by my hardware either way? Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
I don't want to/can't afford to buy a copy of Office for Mac. I have tried other office suites like OpenOffice on OSX, but it always results in some format issues when I open the document in MS Word on another computer.!
With all this hoopla trying to get Window running, have you considered Pages. According to Apple - iWork - Open, save and email Microsoft Office files. the compatibility is that it works well with MS Word . . . And it is a lot cheaper than MS Word for Mac.

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Quote:
With respect to the space it takes on the hard drive, how does running W8 through VirtualBox and through a boot camp partition install differ. In reading about it, it appears that both take up space on the hard drive, the only difference being with boot camp, a separate partition is made, and requires a reboot.

For purposes of my limited 128 gb, does 1 take up less space than the other?

Perhaps I am limited by my hardware either way? Thanks.
The main difference is that with boot camp the space is dedicated and you have 2 distinct partitions. With a VM you are indicating the maximum space that VM may take, but what is occupied on the hard drive is what the VM really ends up taking. So if you say 60G maximum and you installation of W8 and Office takes 35G, you are not using up that extra 25G..

But yeah the underlying issue is the lack of hardware resources. 128G is just not enough for multiple OS' when something like W8 needs 20G.

Also on the RAM front, with 2G to OS X and W8 you will get decreased performance from both. So you want to run the VM only when you really need it.

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
banditsw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
With all this hoopla trying to get Window running, have you considered Pages. According to Apple - iWork - Open, save and email Microsoft Office files. the compatibility is that it works well with MS Word . . . And it is a lot cheaper than MS Word for Mac.
Thanks for the suggestion. Have you had first hand experience with Pages? My main issue with the free Office suites like Open Office is that when create a document and save it, and thereafter open it for further edition in Word, I often come across formatting issues.
QUOTE Thanks
banditsw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
The main difference is that with boot camp the space is dedicated and you have 2 distinct partitions. With a VM you are indicating the maximum space that VM may take, but what is occupied on the hard drive is what the VM really ends up taking. So if you say 60G maximum and you installation of W8 and Office takes 35G, you are not using up that extra 25G..

But yeah the underlying issue is the lack of hardware resources. 128G is just not enough for multiple OS' when something like W8 needs 20G.

Also on the RAM front, with 2G to OS X and W8 you will get decreased performance from both. So you want to run the VM only when you really need it.
Thank you for the explanation. Under your example, will that extra, unused 25G be available for use for other purposes?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Creating Windows Install Disc | Triple boot - Windows 7 and 8 on Mac »