New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Bootcamp help?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jackkazim

jackkazim is on a distinguished road

I decided to remove windows from my mac as I am giving it to my mom and she has no clue on how to use windows. When I went into Bootcamp assistant, I uninstalled the disk BOOTCAMP but, while it was uninstalling, there was an error and BOOTCAMP disappeared. But Macintosh HD is still acting like BOOTCAMP was there (ie. the space from BOOTCAMP isn't going back to Macintosh HD space). But BOOTCAMP doesn't appear in the finder or in disk utility. I tried going into Bootcamp assistant again and it wouldn't let me delete Bootcamp and gave me crap that I needed 10 GB to partition (I currently have much more than that). I tried repairing the disk via disk utility and it didn't work. I currently am short of 145 GB. Right now Macintosh HD has a capacity of 104 GB. BOOTCAMP had 145. My hard disk is 250 GB. I need help.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

If you tell us which version of OS X you're running, we can try to help you to get that space back. It would also help to tell us the specs on your Mac. Year and model.
QUOTE Thanks
jackkazim

jackkazim is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
If you tell us which version of OS X you're running, we can try to help you to get that space back. It would also help to tell us the specs on your Mac. Year and model.
I'm using Mac OS X 10.8.3
Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
RAM: 4 GB
My model is a MacBook Pro. I'm not sure if it's 2009 or 2010. More likely 2010.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

OK, thanks for posting back.

Boot to your Recovery Partition by holding down your Command + R keys upon rebooting the machine. You may have already tried this but see if you can run Disk Utility from the Recovery Partition to repair the drive. If it fails to repair, try using the partition tab to see if you can regain the space.

It may not allow you to use the partitioning tab if the disk has errors. And that may be the problem since the Boot Camp assistant failed to remove the Windows partition and restore the hard drive to OS X. You may have to completely erase the drive and reinstall. However, it's been my experience when a hard drive starts acting up, it's time to replace it.

I know that may be more than you wanted to do, but it may be best since you're giving the machine to your mother. Otherwise she will only have more problems with it and you'll wind up in the end having to replace the drive anyway.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Vuirtualbox Vmware Parallels | Need help installing linux on a iBook clamshell »