New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

can't find drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

janzy21

janzy21 is on a distinguished road

I have Windows 7 loaded on its own hard drive ans I have an LG blu-ray burner installed as a second optical drive.
I works in the osx system, but will not show up in Windows. I try to install the firmware and it say no atapi drive found.
Any solutions?
Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I'm assuming you mean that you have Windows 7 dual booting with OS X by using Boot Camp on your Mac's hard drive? If that's true, you will need a Windows 7 driver for the Blue Ray LG burner. That should have been installed when you installed the Windows 7 drivers that you downloaded from Apple. You did follow the boot camp instructions and download the drivers from Apple, right?
QUOTE Thanks
janzy21

sorry, yes it is a dual boot.
The Windows support software wouldn't download.
I waited 3 hours and it and the progress bar was still stuck in the middle.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Then you need to run the Bootcamp assistant again and try the download again. Once done you can cancel the assistant.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
janzy21

I went to the Apple support site for Bootcamp and d/l and installed drivers, but I keep getting the message when I try to install the LG burner firmware that a valid atapi device can't be found.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't even consider updating a drives firmware before you have it detected correctly.

1. Exactly which drive do you have?
2. Once connected by USB can you see it in device manager?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
janzy21

It's an internal LG WH14NS40 blu-ray burner and it doesn't show up in the device manager.
QUOTE Thanks
janzy21

trying to d/l s/w again and get this: The Windows support software could not be saved to the selected folder.
Tried different usb sticks and its still the same.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

Hang on I thought you'd installed those drivers?
Quote:
I went to the Apple support site for Bootcamp and d/l and installed drivers
And how is the internal drive connected? Which Mac do you have? How was the drive installed?

The more information you can give about the full picture the easier it'll be to find a solution for you.

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

What model Mac do you own? This IS an Apple Macintosh computer correct? Not a PC with OSX?

Also what version of OSX is installed?
QUOTE Thanks
janzy21

I have an early 2008 Mac Pro.
The blu-ray drive is installed in the second bay (lower) and connected to the ribbon cable that also feeds the SuperDrive. It powers off oneof the2 sata power connectors on the motherboard.
I did install all the drivers from Apple's Bootcamp help page.
I have the latest update of Lion installed.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

It doesn't get power from the motherboard.
As an experiment please disconnect the SuperDrive and connect the bluray using the cables that the SuperDrive was using.

Can you also post a link to the drivers you downloaded.

QUOTE Thanks
janzy21

Sorry, but it does get power from the motherboard.
The drive is a sata drive and the Superdrive is ide.
Both drives work fine in osx environment.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

No, sorry that's the data cable.

The power is a flat black connector about 1", the data cable about half that.

Do you have the driver link?

Even though they work ok in osx that doesn't mean they will in windows. It's either missing motherboard drivers or a hardware clash, hence the suggestion to disconnect the SuperDrive. That eliminates the hardware clash issue

QUOTE Thanks
janzy21

Sorry for my error.
LG WH14NS40 Support: Find Manuals & Warranty Info | LG USA
I'll pull the Superdrive when I get home.
The drive was suggested by OWC.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Boot Camp Assistant Nightmare! | Installed Win 7 to install printer »