Transferring Parallels/Windows XP to new SSD
    Hello all,

I have a 15 inch (late 2008) Macbook Pro with 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo.

I recently replaced the old hard drive with a new SSD. The cloning process went very smoothly, and my Mac OS is up and running great. But I cannot open my Windows XP through Parallels. It gives me the error message: "You can't use this version of the application 'Parallels Desktop' with this version of OS X." I have Parallels Desktop 6.0, and it was running on my old HD fine (i'm using OS X Mountain Lion).

When I plug my old HD into the computer via USB and go into Disk Utility, there is NOT a separate partition for Windows XP/Parallels. I was running it without a separate partition I guess.

Also, my new SSD contains a folder under Parallels documents titles Windows XP.pvm. It was copied to the SSD during the cloning process, but I still can't get Parallels and my old Windows XP to open up.

I am wanting to know how to get my Parallels/Windows XP to work on my new SSD.

Thank you for reading, and I appreciate any help you all can provide.

Fort Worth, Texas
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    You need to update your version of Parallels. Version 6 will not run on Mountain Lion. Since you're now 2 versions behind (current version is 8) you need to upgrade. See below from the Parallels web site.

This is from the Parallels knowledge base:

OS X Mountain Lion & Parallels Desktop 5/6 for Mac compatibility
    Article ID: 114410
    Created On: Jul 19, 2012
    Last Review: Jan 28, 2013
    Was this article helpful?
    No Yes
    Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac
    Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac

Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac and Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac will not run on Mac OS X Mountain Lion.

Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac and Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac customers who wish to take advantage of the new Mac OS X Mountain Lion features should install Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac, which can be downloaded here.

IMPORTANT: Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac users will need to purchase a full copy of Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac, as version 5 falls under the End-of-Life policy and upgrade from version 5 to 8 is not supported. Please visit this page for more information on the End-of-Life policy statement.

Customers who have a key for Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac are eligible for upgrade pricing and can place an order for Upgrade to Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac at the Parallels Online Store.

Ok, I was wondering if that's all it was. Thank you chscag!

Thread Information