New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Poor Windows Performance via BootCamp

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Materialistic

Materialistic is on a distinguished road

I installed Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on my mid-2012 MBP 13" via BootCamp thinking it would be the only way to let Windows use the full potential of the hardware. However, when I ran the Windows Experience Index, the rating for the Primary Hard Disk was only a 5.9 despite having an SSD.

When I ran a copy of the same OS via Parallels, the Primary Hard Disk rating jumped up to a 7.9.

How come the hard drive rating is so low for my BootCamp Windows install? Is there a way to fix this issue? Am I just better off running Windows through Parallels?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

That makes no sense as Parallels is emulation and Bootcamp is NATIVE Windows directly on the hardware. Check your drivers. That is all I can think of right now. I get a better score on my 320 GB 2.5 HDD on my old 2007 Macbook with Windows 7 Home Premium.

I just checked my Macbook. It's just a 2.0Ghz C2D with Santa Rosa Chipset, 4GB RAM and a Seagate 320GB 2.5" Hard drive and I am getting 5.7 on the Windows 7 Index so something is wrong. Did you install ALL the drivers from Apple for Windows 7?

Curious, what brand and model is your SSD?
QUOTE Thanks
Materialistic

Materialistic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
That makes no sense as Parallels is emulation and Bootcamp is NATIVE Windows directly on the hardware. Check your drivers. That is all I can think of right now. I get a better score on my 320 GB 2.5 HDD on my old 2007 Macbook with Windows 7 Home Premium.

I just checked my Macbook. It's just a 2.0Ghz C2D with Santa Rosa Chipset, 4GB RAM and a Seagate 320GB 2.5" Hard drive and I am getting 5.7 on the Windows 7 Index so something is wrong. Did you install ALL the drivers from Apple for Windows 7?

Curious, what brand and model is your SSD?
Yeah I used the BootCamp Assistant to make a bootable USB which installed all the drivers as part of the Windows installation. I also installed all of the latest Windows updates including SP1.

The SSD I'm using is a Crucial M4 256GB running the latest firmware.

I've been playing around with Parellels and discovered I can exit out of Coherence mode which makes the experience much better IMO. I can actually live with this. Sorry, I'm new to OSX and I'm rushing into things without much research beforehand. The laptop I'm upgrading from is a 2006 ThinkPad and I can't contain my excitement because of the night-and-day difference in performance
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

I just the other day installed Bootcamp with Win7 and it runs fine. Just to be sure everything was installed correct drivers and what not, get a USB and download Boot Camp Support Software 4.0.4255 specifically for your MBP 13" Mid 2012 and run it from Windows. This is a BIG must for everything to run fine, for you to get on-line and the keyboard is cross compatible with widows. IF your 100% positive you have this installed don't worry about it, but i would dl it run it anyways.

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problem installing windows 7 on mac os x 10.8.3 | For the paranoid...or just geeks »