New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

BootCamp Windows 7 freezes at startup at "Windows 7 is loading files"

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sandwichbite

sandwichbite is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I have a Macbook Air with OS X 10.8.3, 2GB RAM, 250GB Hard Drive

I am usually a Windows user, and wanted to get Windows 7 on my macbook via bootcamp. I created a partition for Windows 7, and clicked install. It restarted, then went to a screen that was black except for the bottom, which had text saying,"Windows is loading files", and a loading bar that fillls up about 10%, then freezes. I left it on for 7 hours, and still it did not budge. I tried this a good 15 times, but nothing ever changed. I have checked the DVD for smudges and scratches; it has none. I have removed Windows 7, restarted my mac, then reinstalled it. The format is MS-DOS (FAT). I can think of nothing else to do, and this is reallllly starting to get on my nerves.

Can someone please help?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

I take it you're using an external DVD drive?

Did you use the Bootcamp Assistant to create the partition?

What sort of Windows 7 disc is it? Exactly..... Retail, OEM, 32 bit, 64bit etc

Have you downloaded the bootcamp setup guide?

Are you able to mount the disc in Finder and view the files?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
The format is MS-DOS (FAT). I can think of nothing else to do, and this is reallllly starting to get on my nerves.
Windows 7 will not install on anything else but a drive or partition formatted to NTFS. Neither will Windows 8 or even Vista. Make sure you format to NTFS and try again.
QUOTE Thanks
sandwichbite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
I take it you're using an external DVD drive?

Did you use the Bootcamp Assistant to create the partition?

What sort of Windows 7 disc is it? Exactly..... Retail, OEM, 32 bit, 64bit etc

Have you downloaded the bootcamp setup guide?

Are you able to mount the disc in Finder and view the files?
Yes, I did use Bootcamp Assistant, and I am using a LG SuperMulti external DVD drive. The disk is a retail Windows Home Premium 64bit. I have downloaded and printed the bootcamp setup guide. I am able to view the files in Finder
QUOTE Thanks
sandwichbite

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Windows 7 will not install on anything else but a drive or partition formatted to NTFS. Neither will Windows 8 or even Vista. Make sure you format to NTFS and try again.
How do you format to NTFS? Is it in Disk Utility?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Formatting to NTFS is done thru the Windows 7 installer when you choose the partition to install it on. You probably missed that step.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I agree but the 'Windows is loading files' stage is prior to the setup wizard where you choose to format the partition.

I'd suggest this is most likely a fault on the disc. Possibly the reader.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
sandwichbite

Quote:
Formatting to NTFS is done thru the Windows 7 installer when you choose the partition to install it on. You probably missed that step.
Bootcamp won't let me choose the partition. It just keeps telling me to create a windows 7 partition.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Quote:
I agree but the 'Windows is loading files' stage is prior to the setup wizard where you choose to format the partition.
It's been awhile since I installed Windows 7 so my memory is rusty on which came first. I just re-read his initial post and I now agree with you. It does appear to be an error on the disk being read. It could also be his optical drive that's not working right.

@sandwichbite:

Try cleaning your optical drive with a can of compressed air by blowing several short blasts into the drive. Then try again. And please ignore my reply about formatting to NTFS as that will be done later after it gets past that stage you're stuck on.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

You aren't at the stage yet.
I.e. step 3 of the guide
http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/...setup_10.8.pdf

QUOTE Thanks
sandwichbite

Ok so I cleaned out the drive, and now i'm going to restart
Fingers crossed.
QUOTE Thanks
sandwichbite

Alright heres the deal. I am typing this from my imac. It restarted, but it hangs on Loading files 0%...
QUOTE Thanks
sandwichbite

Should i have connected to my network first??
QUOTE Thanks
sandwichbite

Forget my last post, I just needed to be patient. It is expanding files
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

OK, sounds good. Looks like your optical drive may have been at fault. Let us know after it installs. Keep us informed and thanks to mrplow for remembering what my old memory forgot!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Downloaded Windows on my Mac, however the font and quality is very bad and weird? | Bootcamp vs Parallels »