New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

How to install windows on iMac using a USB flash drive?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Nab93

Nab93 is on a distinguished road

I had tried to install windows 7 on my imac running os lion through a bootable usb as it's superdrive is broken.
Firstly I created the bootable usb of windows 7 from my friend's laptop using the instructions on this website

How to Create a Windows 7 Installation USB Drive | Windows.AppStorm ion-usb-drive/

but bootcamp would raise an error saying disk could not be found. So I modified the info.plist file from bootcamp package contents and created an iso of the bootable usb drive. Bootcamp then allowed to create a windows install usb through the iso and partitioned the hard disk too but after doing so the computer restarted with a black screen and a message ' insert boot disk and press any key'. Now I've deleted the windows partition and really need help installing windows 7.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Only the version of bootcamp on Macs that came without optical drives supports installing Windows from a USB drive I'm afraid.

However, there is a way to do it with reFit.

http://liza.io/installing-windows-7-...on-a-mac-mini/

You can skip the first bit if you already have a bootable USB with Windows 7 on

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

And be aware Windows 7 will require activation and will not activate if it is installed on your friend's laptop. Have seen the copy activate asnd the original install become marked as none genuine.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Nab93

Nab93 is on a distinguished road

I followed all the instructions from this blog

Installing Windows on a Macbook Pro without a Superdrive | Bagel Belly Blog

Everything worked well upto the point when I had to shut down vmware and reboot using refit which I did successfully too...but then windows opened and the last part of the setup was completing, then it restarted again. Again the refit showed up, I selected windows, the logo came and then the screen went blank....I waited for quite sometime hoping something would show up but unfortunately nothing happened...the screen was stuck on the black screen ...since I was so close to installing it, I just hope there's a solution for this problem...plz help me..
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Your best course is probably replacing the optical drive and buying your own Windows 7 CD.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can someone teach me how to use Winebottler? | The Incredible Machine »