New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Burning DVD's--how long?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Sexy Patrol

Sexy Patrol is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: '09 8-core MacPro | '12 MBA | iPad 2 16GB | iPhone 5C 16GB

I recently got Toast 7 Titanium and went to work burning a movie onto a DVD (since I heard that iDVD can't burn anything over 120mins long onto a disc for some weird reason...) Well, it's been close to I believe four hours now since I started the whole encoding/burning process and it's getting close to finishing now. My question is, is it normal for this process to take so long? I could've sworn my friend burned a DVD on his Dell laptop a while back and it took maybe 30mins at the most. Does the encoding process just take that rediculous amount of time?

Oh, I apologize if this is the inappropriate forum, just thought "Other Software" was referring to what I'm talking about...

Thanks for the help guys.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

What Mac is this you are doing your burning with Toast on?

Is this movie a Rip from a DVD or a movie of yours? What format is the movie in when you start Toast?

converting from some formats to DVD Video_TS does take a while, but the faster the Mac, the faster it will happen. Ripping from a DVD then burning with toast takes me between 30 min and 45 minutes depending on how much is has to be shrunk to fit the DVD. I use an iMac G5 2.1 Ghz.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexy Patrol
(since I heard that iDVD can't burn anything over 120mins long onto a disc for some weird reason...)
A standard single layer DVD will only hold about two hours of video. Where as a dual layer DVD will hold more. You may have to do major compression if you want to get more on a single layer DVD.

I don't know if Toast does a check of media type before the encoding and burn process like iDVD does. So it is possible that Toast will fail in the end.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
_humfy

_humfy will become famous soon enough

I tend to encode the movie using ffmpegx and then burning to toast using the methods described here:

http://homepage.mac.com/major4/dvd_sub.html#opening

I can usually squash about 4.4GB of movie onto a single layer disk regardless of length.

Ultimately it depends if you just want a dvd with the movie or if you want menus etc. I always found encoding through toast really slow and haphazard.

If you can rob a bank then get DVD Studio Pro which is just excellent... but costly...
QUOTE Thanks
Sexy Patrol

Sexy Patrol is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: '09 8-core MacPro | '12 MBA | iPad 2 16GB | iPhone 5C 16GB

I'm burning with a PowerBook G4 1.5GHz, I want to burn a ~700MB .avi onto a ~4.78GB DVD-R. I don't know if the disc or my drive are single or dual layer.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I think what is taking the time is you have a .AVI and Toast has to convert that to DVD Video_TS first before it burns it. That conversion takes quite a while in Toast at least. On my Mac Mini with a G4 1.25Ghz it takes quite a while for the convrsion but on the iMac G5 2.1 Ghz it's around an hour. Just ripping a DVD on the Imac takes maybe 15 minutes or less sometimes, but converting an AVI to DVD in Toast is not very fast and especially on a G4.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Web Page Testing | Uninstalling WMP 9 on OSX? »