New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Friend going from Mac, to Windows, to Linux, and back to Mac.....

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

VirulentCode

VirulentCode is on a distinguished road

So, I have been a PC guy for a while now. I stopped using Macs about 5 years ago and have delved deeply into the PC world. However, a friend of mine is having a huge issue with her MacBook Pro (model A1212) and ended up doing far more OS jumping than is necessary. She's currently running an older Ubuntu make after having been on Windows for a bit on this particular device. I have a disc that I can use to run Mac OSX (made her buy one for her own sake), but I haven't the foggiest on how to boot from disc on a Mac, let alone Ubuntu. It retains the vintage Mac opening gray, but from there I have no idea what to do. I've tried left option for booting, I've tried f8, and I've tried f6 on startup to no avail. Any suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 60GB SSD, 500GB HD

Try either C or Option.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.9
QUOTE Thanks
VirulentCode

VirulentCode is on a distinguished road

Option was only bringing up a (for some strange reason) Windows partition. C brought up nothing else, but eventually loaded into Linux.
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 60GB SSD, 500GB HD

C should force it to boot from the install disk if it is loaded in the drive. Option will let you select any bootable drive in the computer, including the install disk if it is loaded. Does other optical media work in the computer?

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.9
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Installing Parallels help | Running Access on a Mac with Parallel Desktop 7 for Mac »