New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Bootcamp + Windows 7 on 2007 model: Completely frustrated

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lanurs

lanurs is on a distinguished road

Hello everyone,

I'm in a rut.

I have a Mac OS X 10.6.8 (Which I upgraded from leopard) originally purchased in early 2007 (this could be the problem although I can't be sure...)

Now that I have updated to Snow Leopard, my boot camp is version 3.0.4. I have several questions about how to install Windows 7 and I am completely and utterly confused by this whole process.

Right now, I have bought a Windows 7 license with SP1. I know I need to update my boot camp to 3.2 to install it, but when I try to, it downloads as an .exe file (and therefore doesn't execute, it just opens up in text edit).

So I tried the other way, I tried to install boot camp by simply ignoring the update (and assumed that the update is to be installed after boot camp on my windows side). But when I went to partition, it said something along the lines of that I need to be on a single partition (which I already am) and I can't get passed this stage. I desperately need Windows on my laptop... Any idea if this is possible without having to actually buy a newer version laptop? This is killing me and I've researched everything! Thanks in advance for your help!!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

You have the right idea about installing the boot camp update after Windows 7 is installed. That's the correct way to do it. That part is OK.

Your other problem is that your hard drive is fragmented so that there is not enough contiguous space in order for the Boot Camp assistant to create a partition for the installation of Windows 7. The error message you received is rather confusing and usually leads many folks to the wrong conclusion.

How to solve it:

There are two ways to resolve the error. The first method is to erase the hard drive and reinstall. Prior to erasing, use Time Machine to make a complete backup of the drive. Then during the reinstall of OS X, when asked, use Time Machine to restore. That will clear up the fragmentation.

Second method requires the purchase of disk defragmenting software. I personally use iDefrag but there are several others. Note that defragmenting a large hard drive may take hours and usually will run overnight. It also requires booting into a controlled environment where the defrag software has complete control over your machine.
QUOTE Thanks
lanurs

lanurs is on a distinguished road

Thank you so much for you help! Just knowing it IS possible to install Windows 7 on this machine is good to hear!

So I want to try the first option you suggested but I have a few questions. How would I go about erasing the hard drive and reinstalling? Does that just mean I should insert the Snow Leopard installation CD and try it one more time? And I already back up my important files manually on my hard drive....Will using Time Machine back up the programs that I have as well? Or will they be unaffected by what you're suggesting? Thanks again!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.2

Backing up here refers to an external hard drive and using Time Machine. To erase the internal drive, pop in the Snow Leopard disc, reboot and hold down 'C'. Leave the Installer and go to Utilities in the Menu bear, Disk Utility and choose Erase, format Mac OS Extended (Journalled) into Partition and leave as one partition and select as GUID under options, back to Installer and proceed.

With the external hard drive connected run Time Machine to restore all your files and updates, then go into Utilties > Bootcamp Assistant, print guidelines and proceed from there.

Backing up on your internal hard drive is not a solution. What happens when the drive fails, and it will given sufficient time, or you wish to do a clean install formatting the hard drive?

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mission Control Question | Is there a way to install bootcamp without the disk »