New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

ProEngineer Creo on Parallels 7

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

whupass

whupass is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" MBP A1151

Hello,

I'm an engineering student.
I've got a 2011 17"mbp.
8gb ram.
Parallels 7
Windows 7 (32bit)
and I'm running Lion.

I've been running windows seven in parralels for about the last 7-8 months using Pro Engineer Creo package. (3d CAD)

I've allocated the maximum ram towindows that I can. Are you able to allocate more cores?

I find that when swapping between Lion and Windows while using Creo the picture will start to flicker in windows. Sections of the window will swap between black and the image it should show. Sometimes it's a pattern of pixelation. I'll try to get a screen capture of it. The only solution i've found for this is to swap to lion and force quit the program, sometimes the whole VM.

Sometimes the whole computer freezes adn teh only solution is a forced reboot. (holding the power button for 5 seconds)

These are all incredibly annoying. I've literally spent hundreds of hours using this program this year and it's become quite a chore.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a solution? Can this be fixed in the parallels settings?

Please let me know if you think I left details out.

Any solution is creatly appreciated. The semester is nearly over but I'd love to have this running smoothly for the summer.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

Quote:
Does anyone have any suggestions for a solution? Can this be fixed in the parallels settings?
You're probably not going to like my suggestion.....

It's always best when running any kind of CAD program or graphic intensive game to run it in native Windows not a virtual machine. Any time you run a Windows program in a virtual machine it has to rely on drivers supplied by the virtual software; in this case Parallels. Although Parallels and Fusion both have improved virtualization methods especially with graphics, it's still "not there" yet.

I would do two things:

1. Setup a dual boot with Windows 7 and OS X. Use the Boot Camp assistant.

2. Install Windows 7 x 64 bit not 32 bit. Windows 7 x 32 bit can only utilize approximately 3.6 GB of memory whereas the 64 bit version will take advantage of all of your 8 GB.
QUOTE Thanks
whupass

whupass is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" MBP A1151

Thanks for the reply chscag.

I was worried that would be the reply.

I have it set up to use the full 3.6GB of RAM now. The drivers was something that I didn't know though, thanks for that.

Possibly very stupid question... there's no upgrade option is there? For the 32bit to 64bit? Or am I going to have to fork it all over to get a new windows 7?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

Quote:
Possibly very stupid question... there's no upgrade option is there? For the 32bit to 64bit? Or am I going to have to fork it all over to get a new windows 7?
No, there is no direct upgrade. My version of Windows 7 Home Premium (Microsoft boxed copy) came with two DVDs in the box; one 32 bit, one 64 bit. If you purchased a single version (32 bit) you'll need to buy the 64 bit version as there is no upgrade feature when going from 32 to 64 bit. It will also require a complete reinstall.

A good price for Windows 7 x 64 bit is at Amazon.com. Here in the US the full install version (OEM System Builders) sells for $99. Check the Amazon UK site to see if they have the best price. You do need to buy the full install version.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Backing up Windows 7 (run on Parallels 7) | Iwebalbum for MAC »