New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Windows 7 (64) no startup via BootCamp - infinite rebooting

Thread Closed

jgiannis

jgiannis is on a distinguished road

I have a brand new MacBook Pro. OS X 10.7.3. 15-inch. 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7. 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3.

This MBP can only support Windows 7 (XP and Vista not supported).

Using the BootCamp instructions, I installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. I used an actual disc to install. Everything went as expected. I made the Windows partition to be 76 GB large, so there is plenty of space.

I passed the part where Windows (still booting from the disc) asks me to enter a name for my computer. I did that. Then it asked me how I want to go about automatic updates. I always elect to not do updates automatically. It then restarts (as it should, says BootCamp), but doesn't actually boot in Windows 7. Instead, when it restarts, it goes to a black screen where you see a blinking cursor in the top left corner. It stays at this screen for a couple of seconds, then restarts again. This process then continues to repeat itself.

I tried booting for the disc and using the Windows Repair tool. I select to repair Windows 7, hit next, but then it says:

"This version of System Repair is not compatible with the version of Windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disc that is compatible with this version of Windows."

I tried installing Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit again (after setting the partition back to normal, and then creating the 76 GB partition again). Same deal. I then tried Windows 7 Professions 64-bit. Same deal. I will soon try a 32-bit version of either Ultimate or Professional, but I doubt it will work.

Any takers on this mystery?
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

Did you download and create the driver disk as directed by the Boot Camp assistant? Afterward, did you use it to install drivers for Windows 7? It sounds like you do not have a video driver installed - consequently the black screen with blinking cursor.
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.2

Wonder if OP actually printed and read the Guide Lines?

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Where did this Windows 7 64-bit DVD come from? Is it a Retail or OEM copy? If not that could be your issue. Also did you format the partition for Windows NTFS?
jgiannis

jgiannis is on a distinguished road

SOLVED: I used an alternate Windows 7 Ultimate DVD and it worked fine. There must have been some kind of compatibility issue with the first disc I was using. And yes, both DVDs were bootleg (illegitimate) copies of Windows 7 Ultimate (not to brag about such use or anything). Despite what Apple and Support Teams say, bootlegs do work. You just need to get yourself a good copy.

FYI, I did download the drivers to a USB flashdrive, but that's irrelevant. In the problem I discussed, I could not get Windows to boot up. You use the drivers AFTER Windows boots, not before. If you can't boot, you don't use the drivers.

And yes, I did print and read the guidelines. They are very easy to follow.

And yes, I did format the partition in NTFS. You actually cannot proceed if you did not do this. The system won't let you get past that part without formatting.

Thread Closed

« Parallels 7 purchase | Possible to boot into a windows HDD from your Lion? »