New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Need advice before I start :)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Junglist_boy

Junglist_boy is on a distinguished road

Hi guys,
Just wondering if someone can give me some advice and point me in the right direction. What it is I want to install Windows 7 on my Mac Pro G5. I'm complete n00b when it comes to computers lol. Is this a easy job? Why I want to install Windows 7 on my Mac Pro is because I want to record my game (MW3) footage from my PS3. I have a laptop running Windows XP but the laptop old and slow and keeps crashing. I been trying all day to get Dazzle Pinnacle to work but no luck only works with Windows. I did find out I could run it with Videoglide on my Mac but free demo wouldn't work. I'm gonna take the Dazzle capture card back and get Hauppauge HD PVR Gaming Edition so I can record in HD. But that card only works with Windows. That's why need put Windows 7 on my Mac.

Just need to know few more things
1) Will my Mac have enough memory to run Windows 7?
2)Will my Mac have enough memory memory to run Hauppauge HD PVR card?
3)What Windows 7 package do I need?

My Mac Pro G5 Spec this is what I got

The specs of Hauppauge HD PVR card
System Requirements
PC with 3.0 GHz single core or 2.0 GHz multi-core processor
Microsoft® Windows® 7 (32 or 64-bit), Windows Vista or Windows XP Service Pack 3
512 MB RAM (1 GB recommended)
Graphics card with 256MB memory
Sound card
220 MB free hard disk space
CD-ROM drive (for Software installation)

Will this Windows 7 package be ok?
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/micros...12469-pdt.html

Sorry for the long post guys I've give the best info I can. I want to get it right before I go out and spend money. My other half already rolling her eyes at me "You spending money on that" lol. Thanks for any help I'm complete n00b when it comes to tech stuff. Cheers guys
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

If you do have a G5 then you can't run windows. BTW MacPros are Intel Macs. I tried to check your specs to be sure but your link didn't work.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Actually Razormac, you can run Windows on a G5. It's just horrible painful to do so. I used Virtual PC as a kid to run the occasional extremely resource-lite software on G4 and G5 Macs.

But I would not recommend this. It was very slow.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
Junglist_boy

This Mac Pro I got hope the link works this time
Apple Mac Pro MB871X/A 2.66GHz QCX/3X1GB, 640GB, GT120, SuperDrive, Mac os [MB871X/A] - $3,264.00 : Penta Group,PC,computer,laptop,LCD,TV,LED,camera,iphone, ipad,Antivirus
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
Actually Razormac, you can run Windows on a G5. It's just horrible painful to do so. I used Virtual PC as a kid to run the occasional extremely resource-lite software on G4 and G5 Macs.

But I would not recommend this. It was very slow.
You are correct.

I assumed the OP was trying to run Windows natively, and didnt even think about the virtual route.

That is not a G5 machine and you should have no problem running Windows on it, either via Boot Camp or using VMWare or Parallels.

EDIT: I have no idea about compatibility with the capture card

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Junglist_boy

I take it installing windows on this be to hard? I have very little know how when it comes to computers. Thanks for the quick replys nice one
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junglist_boy View Post
I take it installing windows on this be to hard? I have very little know how when it comes to computers. Thanks for the quick replys nice one
Installing Windows should be relatively simple, which ever route you decide to go. I really don't do Windows on my Macs so I will leave it to others to advise.

QUOTE Thanks
Junglist_boy

I thought it was a G5 I don't know why I thought that. Told you I was n00b when it comes to computers lol.

Is this Windows 7 package good enough?
MICROSOFT Windows 7 Home Premium at cheap prices | Pcworld
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junglist_boy View Post
You would probably be doing yourself a BIG favor...by reading these two stickies (which are conveniently located at the top of this sub-forum):

Bootcamp: Save yourself possibly hours of time:
Running Windows on a Mac: A Switcher's Guide

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Junglist_boy

Cheers I have a read of them I didn't see them at the top. Nice one
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help! Emulator running in full screen | Outlook Contacts to Mac »