New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Parallels KILLS Bluetooth on Lion

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

brunel

brunel is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: mbp2.2G core2D, 4g ddr2, 750g, 1TB external, 80g I-Pod,iPad2 16g

I rarely use XP these days, only to check that a web site looks ok on Microsoft IE and to back up my Nokia to PC Suite.

However, first time syncing since installing Lion, I have found that XP/Parallels breaks the Bluetooth on my MBP. What I mean is that although Bluetooth works under Lion fine, and I can transfer pictures via it - when I start Parallels and try to use the still running bluetooth the Bluetooth ceases to function.
When I click onto the Bluetooth sign on the Applications Shelf at the bottom of the screen it says that there no Bluetooth device on the computer!!!

The only way to re-instate it is to Re-start the computer.

So what's going on?
QUOTE Thanks
Tarek

Tarek has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5

Isn't there a way to choose where you want to use your bluetooth? As in you choose between Paralells or Mac? I believe it was in the Parallels configuration, same as choosing whether you want USB connected devices to operate on Parallels or Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
brunel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarek View Post
Isn't there a way to choose where you want to use your bluetooth? As in you choose between Paralells or Mac? I believe it was in the Parallels configuration, same as choosing whether you want USB connected devices to operate on Parallels or Mac.

Yes, you're right. Under preferences in Parallels 7 you can chose the usb controller to work with the virtual disc, so I can connect my Nokia by usb cable now.
However the problem comes when you try to use bluetooth because you are told that certain Apple drivers are needed and that they are on the OSX installation disc. OK when I had Snow Leopard but now with downloaded Lion.....what do I do?
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Something else may be going on here> I have an XP Bootcamp partition that is the basis for a Parallels installation. Even under Parallels Bluetooth seems to be functioning OK on my 2008 MacBook Pro.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
brunel

The message "Cannot use the connection type. Check that all the needed hardware, software and drivers are available" comes up in PC Suite when I try to check Bluetooth in Nokia Connection Manager. I have reinstalled the Parallels Tools and restarted XP and still got the same result.

Needless to say bluetooth works fine under Lion but for this process I have tried it switched off and switched on. When it is previously 'on' that is when Parallels/XP 'breaks it'.

Are the drivers on the XP disc...I think not, with Parallels or with OSX? If it is the latter then I think, then, that I am stuffed as I bought Lion as a download.

Or have you got an idea?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Blue Tooth drivers should be provided by Parallels. Once XP is virtualized and running under Parallels all device drivers are Parallels derived not OS X. If you're having difficulty getting your Nokia to pair, I suggest posting the problem in the Parallels user forums where perhaps someone can offer a solution.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Time Machine & Windows | Win7 wont read osX disc »