New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Why is Windows Media streaming so poor?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Desprez

I dislike Windows Media Player 9 more and more every day.
I seem to always have problems with windows media streams. Usually, some portion of the video plays, and then stutters, and then stops. Then refuses to re-buffer.

I have a fast cable connection thats always reliable EXCEPT when dealing with WMP (Real and QT work fine), Older TiBook, Firefox

I tried increasing the buffer to 90 seconds, no help.

When possible I try to download the video directly if there's a link. Sometimes I'll look at the code and rebuild the url and download the file directly. Strangely enough, when the download option is possible, the whole file almost always downloads quicker than it took to fill the 10 second buffer. Isn't THAT interesting. (and proves that network conjestion isn't the issue)

I tried using ASXRecorder X to save the stream as a file, but I haven't gotten that program to work once.

This seems to happen nearly all of the sites that use WMP streaming. But never with Real streaming, or QuickTime streaming.

What's the problem?

Incidently, after 30 min of clicking link after link on Miscrosoft sites, I still could not find a place to pose this question.
QUOTE Thanks
NJ Tom

NJ Tom is on a distinguished road

I'd like to help you but I can't. I do know exactly how you feel.

Níl aon tinteán mar do thinteán féin
QUOTE Thanks
jessica

One word. Windows. If it's Windows it's going to be slow.
But bashing aside because I happen to like Windows....I don't know but I too would love to know.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Looking for this software: It puts a box on the desktop !! | Virtual PC »