New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

installing windows on my mac to run my microsoft flight sim

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mikey

mikey is on a distinguished road

Hi

I'm interested in installing windows on my macbook using bootcamp. the only thing I'll be using windows for is my microsoft flight sim.

Would there be any problems running that program once windows is installed?

How much space should I allow for the windows partition

Thanks
Mikey
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

What year and model MacBook do you have? And which version of MS Flight Sim are you going to run? Generally, the older versions of Flight Simulator will run OK even on an integrated GPU. However, Flight Simulator X needs more horse power to run smoothly although the system requirements that MS gives would lead you to believe otherwise.

As for disk space, see the following LINK from MS.
QUOTE Thanks
mikey

mikey is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply

my macbook is running OS 10.5.8.
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
256 MB vram

I have the standard version of Flight sim X

What do you think?
QUOTE Thanks
Chris_B

Chris_B is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13"

I'm running FSX Deluxe on my MacBook Pro - the specs are below.

The OSX version shouldn't really impact the performance as FSX will be running on a Windows partition - though when creating the partition I'd recommend downloading the latest Windows drivers/software rather than using your Snow Leopard DVD.

With most settings at Medium/Medium High with AA enabled at 1280x800x32 I get 30FPS without any problem, in really detailed areas this can drop to 20/25 but this is still playable on the system.

I created a partition of 40GB for Windows 7 Ultimate X64 and installed FSX onto this. It's left about 7-8GB free for add-ons and any other Windows software I may need to use.

I created this video on Tuesday of FSX running on my Mac...

‪FSX Running on 2009/2010 13" MacBook Pro‬‏ - YouTube

2013 MacBook Air 13" / 1.3 GHz Intel Core i5 / 4GB DDR3 RAM / 128 GB SSD / OSX Mavericks 10.9
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Getting an HP Color LaserJet CP1215 working on a Mac | Where to buy windows? »