New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Converting from FAT32 to NTFS

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

evangelist6589

evangelist6589 has a spectacular aura about

Have any of you ever tried this? If so what was the end result? I have my Mac Boot Camp partition in the FAT32 format. Unfortunately I cannot move the partition to a new and larger hard drive without it being in the NTFS format
As WinClone will not recognize FAT32. I fear incompatibility with some apps after the conversion as is common on Windows operating systems. Thanks..

NTFS.com Convert FAT32 to NTFS. Converting. Convertion.

Convert FAT to NTFS

Q: Is it possible to convert a FAT32 Hard Drive to NTFS without losing all data on the drive? I like to change from FAT32 to NTFS, my operating system is Windows XP PRO, how can I do that? Without the lost of my programs?

A: Standard Windows utility that is called CONVERT serves this purpose

Just go to the Command Prompt and execute the command:

C> CONVERT C: /fs:ntfs
Where C: is a name of the drive you want to convert.

After machine re-boot conversion process will start and you'll have your FAT32 converted to NTFS without of data loss.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

?? It's been maybe 8-9-10 years since I installed an OS onto a FAT partition. Am thinking I did a conversion from FAT to NTFS on one of my first XP installs without issue.

Don't know why any apps would have compatability issues. Apps should be compatible with XP, and no relation to whether you have XP installed to a FAT or NTFS partition. I have never seen an app specify the format of the drive.

However, if you have data you do not want to lose, then I suggest a backup prior to conversion. Perhaps someone has done this in the last couple of years, but you may get more answers on a Windows forum related to this particular question. (You don't have to tell them it's on a Mac. This should not make any difference.)

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The conversion is what I recommended to you in your other thread. And as bobtomay suggested, it's always a good idea to backup. However, lets keep this subject confined to one thread rather than scatter it between the two.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Safari and Firefox not running on PC | install xp on bootcamp using external DVD »