New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

[Bootcamp] Can't to boot to Windows after creating new partition

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Bastiaan

Bastiaan is on a distinguished road

Hi Guys!

A few weeks ago, I needed to do some programming in a windows environment so I figured it would be best to get my macbook pro to dual boot. It wasn't that much of a hassle and it worked perfectly. But then I thought, "why not also install Linux?". So I created a partition (two actually, one for swap space) using the disk utility but after doing that bootcamp wouldn't display windows in the boot menu anymore. However, the partition is still mounted and I can still access the files using finder.

I've searched the web for this problem and soon ended up here (and searched the forum ofc). I've also read the Sticky which explicitly states not to mess with partitions after using bootcamp, but that was a bit like mustard after dinner (dutch expression hehe xD). I've read that is has something to do with the partition table. Is there a way (terminal?) to restore the partition and get bootcamp to recognize windows again (preferable without reinstalling windows)?

Help would be appreciated!
Grtz Bastiaan
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Unfortunately, once you start messing around with partitions after Windows is installed, it's very difficult to recover without reinstalling.

There are several different ways to setup Linux and Windows creating a triple boot. Here's one way: LINK

Also, it's almost never necessary to create a Linux swap partition as long as you have enough memory.

And, it's best to use VM software rather than messing with partitions and Boot Camp. Parallels, Fusion, or even the free VirtualBox all make it easy to triple boot.
QUOTE Thanks
Bastiaan

Bastiaan is on a distinguished road

Wow, thanks for the link! Just a matter of following the steps and then it just works! Great, thanks!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can't remove Boot Camp through the Assistant | Booting Linux PPC from a USB Drive on my PowerBook »