New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

New motherboard, gone windows drivers

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JuniorG1

JuniorG1 is on a distinguished road

Hi guys
Sorry I just stumbled upon a difficult situation. My mac motherboard apparently(sorry cortland I still dont trust you) died and I had to go through apple care repair, which ended up replacing my motherboard.

Now I have a question.
My windows XP which i still have installed kept. The problem is whenever I access windows, all my drivers are gone so all I get to is the windows user login, and from there can't do anything because my mouse and keyboard drivers are gone. The question is, is there anyway I can reinstall them without the working mouse and keyboard?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

If you recently replaced the logic board in your Mac, you will have to reinstall Windows XP for best results. A repair install won't work in your case and neither will trying to install the drivers from OS X.

Open the Boot Camp assistant from OS X and select "create partition". Now select "restore". If that works, it will remove the Windows XP partition and restore it to OS X. After which you can use Boot Camp once more to install Windows XP. If that doesn't work, you'll have to use Disk Utility to remove the Windows partition. You'll need to do that by booting from your original Leopard or Snow Leopard DVD.
QUOTE Thanks
JuniorG1

thanks, restoring partition did work. BUT now i can't partition the disk in bootcamp as it requires a disk repair, which Disk Utility won;t let me perform . and I still very need that windows XP
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

You'll need to boot from the OS X disc to perform a drive repair.
A drive repair cannot be done on a partition that you are booted to.

Similar to a chkdsk in windows - only really not sure why OS X does not have the option to perform a drive repair on next boot - it'd be so much simpler.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
JuniorG1

thanks bobtomay, the problem is that I don't have the OS X disc anymore (or rather I have no clue where it is), is there any other waY?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Run fsck -fy

1. Shut Down Mac completely, Restart your Mac in single-user mode (after pressing power on button, immediately press and hold down the Command and S keys until white text begins to scroll on black screen. In a few more seconds, the Unix command line prompt ending in (:/ root#).
2. At that prompt, type /sbin/fsck -fy (fsck space minus fy).
3. Press Enter or Return key to execute the command.
4. Text will start updating the progress...if there is damage, the final line will say ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****.
5. If you see that message, REPEAT Steps 2 and 3 again until that message no longer appears. Having to run fsck more than once is normal, because the first run's repairs may uncover additional problems.
6. The end should read: "The volume <name of disk> appears to be OK."
7. Then type "exit" or "reboot" then press Return or Enter to boot back off the hard drive.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
JuniorG1

thanks man. That definately helped. However it seems I won't be installing windows afterall. My disc drive is now refusing to take the windows cd, or any other at this point, and from what i read this is a wholly another problem.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Bootcamp/Win 7: black screen after reboot | OSx glitch due to Windows Loader 2.0.4 »